Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital is currently seeking a Clinical Nurse Manager for our Pulmonary, Renal, and Infectious Disease (PRID) Unit. The Clinical Manager is the first line manager responsible for the 24-hour functioning of the unit.
Pulmonary, Renal, and Infectious Disease is a 32-bed medical-surgical floor with 30 private rooms. Two of the private rooms can be converted into semi-private rooms in times of a higher census. The average daily census on the unit is 30.
The patient population of PRID is diverse. We accept all patients age 17 and older. PRID specializes in caring for general medical patients and those patients with Pulmonary, Renal, and Infection control disease processes.
The most frequent diagnoses for our patients are pneumonia, respiratory infections, asthma, COPD, long-term/home ventilators, tracheostomies, pancreatitis, GI bleeds, end-stage renal disease, diabetes, and drug and alcohol withdrawal. In addition, PRI specializes in isolation patient care including patients with MRSA, VRE, C-Diff, and TB.
Major Accountabilities/Specific Job Competencies
• Provides clinical consultation and supervision to nursing personnel and other staff as appropriate.
• Participates in the clinical operations and patient care activities within the unit.
• Assures patient care is consistently provided in accordance with organizational/system-wide accepted standards of care and practice.
• Demonstrates effective management of staffing resources by providing for appropriate skill mix and numbers of staff for the service.
• Models expert decision-making, collaboration and negotiation skills at both service and organizational levels in strategizing to maximize patient outcomes and
• Actively participates in work processes and system redesign. Creates a sense of partnership and collegiality with care team staff and managers through
consensus building, role clarification and outcomes measurement activities.
• Empowers point-of-service staff in decision-making/problem-solving through shared governance with an aim of clinical quality, service excellence,
cost-effectiveness and continuity in care.
• Follows up on any unusual occurrences or untoward incidents involving patients, employees, or applicable equipment/instruments or supplies.
• Collaborates in the identification, investigation and implementation of improvement opportunities directly related to professional/patient care practices and
• Utilizes current quality improvement/problem solving knowledge and skills in day-to-day operations and strategic planning.
• Makes recommendations concerning new or revised policies and procedures involving all aspects of patient care, and personnel. Clarifies and supports
existing policies and procedures.
• Provides ongoing interpretation of financial and clinical data for service to facilitate understanding of the impact of their clinical service practice to the financial
goals of the organization.
• Analyzes population-specific data to identify service/program opportunities.
• Follows trends in data which reflect systems issues and implements process improvement with appropriate departments/staff involved.
• Establishes and monitors an annual budget consistent with the organization’s financial goals, service/population reimbursement trends and current
and/or projected standards of care.
• Guides the service activities and decision-making processes which result in the achievement of financial goals and predictability of costs for patient
• Understands the pricing of procedures and reimbursement of outlier cases and utilizes this information to facilitate the development of feasible standards of
care and practice.
Personnel Management and Development
• Assures job descriptions are current and reflective of behavioral skills needed.
• Selects staff to create a synergistic team.
• Assures all staff is competent in assigned role.
• Establishes initial orientation and ongoing competency expectations for patient care teams.
• Coordinates patient care staff orientation utilizing preceptors, staff development and existing staff members to assure orientation to patient care unit, systems,
policies, procedures and standards of care and practice.
• Identifies competencies requiring review/updating/annual testing.
• Supports staff in development and implementation of their individualized professional development plans.
• Provides staff with informal and formal feedback on performance in conjunction with conflict resolution.
• Fosters a safe environment for staff to expand in their application of innovative care practices, teamwork skills and accountability for organizational goals.
• Implants a sense of authority and accountability in the patient care team resulting in a high degree of point-of-service effectiveness and productivity.
• Collaborates with staff to establish a goal-oriented service philosophy which is organizationally consistent.
• Works to ensure optimum organizational outcomes through consensus building, problem-solving/opportunity seeking, resource allocation and coordinating
and integrating services.
• Advocates change based on a synthesis of patient, family, physician, and staff needs.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or Bachelor's Degree in a related field. Master’s preferred.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
California Registered Nurse, BLS, and ACLS. Leadership and/or clinical certification preferred.
Related Clinical training/experience within last two years. Management experience preferred.