Ambulatory Clinic RN - Internal Medicine; KU MedWest
COVID-19 and flu vaccines are required for all health system employees. Learn more.
Position Summary / Career Interest:
The ambulatory clinic professional registered nurse with our Internal Medicine Clinic at our KU MedWest Campus has the authority, responsibility, and shift accountability for the delivery of nursing care using the nursing process. The Registered Nurse (RN) accepts accountability, applies competent clinical knowledge and uses independent nursing judgment for care provided by self and by health care providers to who care is delegated to achieve quality patient care outcomes. The RN also must possess the ability to assess and interpret patient data needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs.
- Greets patients and prepares them for examination or procedure. Recording health history of patient and noting abnormal conditions for physician. Obtains vital signs and performs required screens.
- Accurately and safely administers intramuscular, subcutaneous, and oral medication as ordered in accordance with nursing standards. Observes, records, and reports patients condition and reaction to drugs and treatments to physicians.
- Assists with the preparation of supplies and equipment and aiding the physician or advance practice provider during treatment, examination and testing of patents.
- Ensures patient chart entries are made accurately and in a timely manner and forwarding charts as appropriate.
- Assisting with scheduling of tests and treatments. Arranging referrals to a specialist and obtaining pre-authorizations when directed to by the provider.
- Collects, documents and delivers lab specimens; obtains lab results and other reports and enters EMR if needed.
- Notifying patients of test results and follow-up appointments. Refers to RN/MD for patient education.
- Reviews with patient/family medications, treatment and after visit instructions.
- Responds to and screens telephone calls for referral to RN or physician.
- Coordinates pre-visit planning by reviewing the EMR to include patient history and proactively order labs and other tests based on approved clinic protocols.
- Completes necessary forms (i.e. FMLA, DME, Home Health orders) and obtains physician signatures as appropriate.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Associates Degree in Nursing (ADN)
- BLS Certification
- Registered nurse - licensed in the state in which they will be working and proof of compact licensure submitted/applied for in the state in which the employee lives in
- Basic typing and word processing ability required
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Bachelor's of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN)
Job Requisition ID:
We are an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.