Swedish Medical Center is looking for a Wound Ostomy Nurse (RN), Relief (0.9 FTE, Day SHIFT) to work in Wound Ostomy Fh at Swedish First Hill in Seattle, WA.
A clinical expert who assesses, plans, implements, and evaluates the care for patients with ileostomies, colostomies, and urinary diversions. Functions as a consultant for patients with altered skin integrity, including pressure ulcers and complicated wounds.
In this position you will:
- Provides education and consultation for patients and their families who are undergoing ostomy surgery, and patients with pre-existing stomas who are experiencing difficulty managing their care.
- Serves as a consultant in the management of patients with altered skin integrity, including pressure ulcers, complex wound care and ostomy related skin issues.
- Consults, assesses and plans initial nursing care plan for patients with post operative stomas and/or altered skin integrity and provides ongoing support and evaluation as needed. Collaborates with staff nurses and case management staff to assist with discharge planning to ensure discharge plan addresses wound and ostomy needs of patients. Provides outpatient care to assess, evaluate, and problem-solve with follow up patients who have an ostomy or altered skin integrity as possible after discharge.
- Recognizes the patient’s age as a relevant factor and applies appropriate decision-making skills in the assessment, treatment, and care provided for the patient.
- Participates in monitoring and tracking productivity statistics and submits reports monthly to the manager as needed. Participates in evaluation of products and new technology for effectiveness and cost to ensure the most cost-effective products are used for patient care. Identifies, communicates, and implements opportunities for improvement in the efficient provision of patient care and systems.
- Serves as an educational resource person to members of the health care team, students, and the community: Educates nursing staff to plan and provide care for patients with ostomies and altered skin integrity. Serves as a clinical preceptor to graduate nurses and nursing students in the area of ostomy, wound, and tissue trauma. Identifies educational needs and assists in providing and evaluating conferences and inservices to update the health care team in the care of patients with ostomies and altered skin integrity. Accepts responsibility for own professional growth and development by participating in seminars, workshops, and wound, skin, or ostomy related programs. Provides feedback to staff and managers regarding staff performance and competency in the care of patients with ostomies and potential or actual alterations in skin integrity.
- Assures clinical compliance with ostomy and skin care standards. Participates in committee and administrative meetings appropriate to role. Participates in quality improvement processes related to the care of patients with ostomies, pressure ulcer prevention, and altered skin integrity. Develops and revises standards related to ostomy, wound, and tissue trauma. Organizes and maintains the Wound Ostomy Department. Identifies and communicates opportunities for expansion of current services.
- Promotes and maintains effective communications and team building as evidenced by the following: utilizing principles and steps of problem solving, demonstrating respect for the ideas, opinions, and feelings of others; fostering open communication through personal example; giving and accepting appropriate constructive feedback; understanding and assuming responsibility for own effect on others; handling sensitive/confidential information appropriately; responding and providing follow-up within specified time frames.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree In Nursing from an accredited School of Nursing. Applicants without a BSN degree must actively pursue and attain a BSN within five years of hire. Continued employment by Swedish beyond five years is contingent upon attaining the BSN degree. Registered Nurses employed by Swedish prior to December 1, 2012 are encouraged to pursue the BSN degree, but obtaining the degree will not be a condition of employment.
- Experience managing simple and complex wounds and ostomies (specialty areas may require additional experience).
- Current License to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Washington.
- Must obtain WOCN within 2 years of hire date, if not certified on hire.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Health Care Providers required at time of hire from American Heart Association (AHA) or Military Training Network (MTN).
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Board certification by the Wound, Ostomy, Continent Nursing Society (WOCNS)
About the First Hill Campus
The 697-bed tertiary-care center on the Swedish/First Hill campus is the flagship of the Swedish health-care system. Swedish/First Hill has one of the most active and advanced birthing programs in Washington State and houses a Level III neonatal intensive-care unit. More surgeries are performed each year at Swedish/First Hill than at any other facility in the region; volumes include more total joint replacements than any other medical center in the state.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
Our Mission is to improve the health and well-being of each person we serve.
Our Vision is Health for a Better World.
Swedish is the largest not-for-profit health care system in the greater Seattle area. It is comprised of five hospital campuses (First Hill, Cherry Hill, Ballard, Edmonds and Issaquah); emergency rooms and specialty center in Redmond (East King County) and the Mill Creek area in Everett; and Swedish Medical Group, a network of more than 128 primary care and specialty care locations throughout the greater Puget Sound area. Swedish employs nearly 13,000 caregivers (all employees), including nearly 1,400 providers. Whether through physician clinics, education, research and innovation or other outreach, we're committed to caring for the people in our region and beyond. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Nursing - Other
Work Locations: First Hill Main Bldg (WA145) 747 Broadway Seattle, 98122
Req ID: 306028