NHRMC, established in 1967 in Wilmington, NC, is recognized as a preeminent healthcare organization focused on leading our community to outstanding health. We have an 855 bed network of hospitals and multi-specialty physician group practices with more than 200 physicians. With a network of primary, specialty, neighborhood clinics and regional medical centers; you will find our culture is the very definition of best in practice. Join us and find out how many ways NHRMC offers you the chance to focus on what really matters - our patients and community.
About the Job
Location: New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Department: Clinical Outcomes
Full Time Equivalent: FTE: 1.000000
Work Type: 64 to 80 Hours Pay Period
Work Schedule: STD HRS - Standard-Exe or Office w flex
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: Yes
What You'll Do
The Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) for Pain Management is responsible for maintaining and further developing our hospital wide initiative to improve the assessment and management of pain. The position supports nurses and nursing in the care of patients with pain, while emphasizing a multidisciplinary approach to pain assessment and pain management. Specifically, this CNS will educate multidisciplinary clinicians, as well as patients and families, through a variety of teaching formats and informational material. This position also involves acting as Chair, Co-chair and member of various NHRMC multidisciplinary committees. Identifying opportunities for research on the patient in pain is encouraged. Other responsibilities include: data collection and analysis, public relations, publications, and developing educational programs that communicate the NHRMC pain management mission, vision, and expertise to clinicians within and outside of NHRMC. Consultation to individual clinicians, other CNS, and patient care units are integral to the position. Consultations may be clinical or programmatic (such as unit based, quality improvement or educational projects). The CNS is a nurse prepared at the Masters or Doctoral level with additional training or expertise specializing in Pain Management Nursing.
- Demonstrates excellence in clinical practice.
- Supports independent nursing practice of professional nurses through collaborative, consultative, and role modeling activities.
- Identifies current trends in healthcare and pain management for their implications to professional practice.
- Applies new technology, nursing theories, research findings and experimental knowledge to improve nursing practice.
- Responds to change in clinical practice by planning, designing, implementing and evaluating guidelines, protocols and standards in collaboration with others.
- Identifies ethical issues in clinical practice and guides staff and other providers in application of ethical concepts to patient care issues.
- Applies innovative approach to solving complex problems.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates unit based orientation programs.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates educational programs based upon assessed learning needs of patients, families and staff.
- Supports, participates in and contributes to educational programs for staff at the unit/service/interdepartmental level.
- Facilitates the acquisition of advanced clinical skills in staff nurses, graduate and undergraduate students through role modeling and clinical consultation and evaluates the effectiveness of the consultation process.
- Plans and implements activities designed to raise awareness of pain control during Pain Awareness Month (September).
- Teaches pain assessment and pain management content in other continuing educational programs (e.g., End-of-Life Care, Complementary Therapies, etc.).
- Initiate, or participate in, quality assurance and performance improvement activities for evaluation of structure, process and outcome criteria as it relates to clinical practice.
- Utilizes the Model for Improvement in collecting data on clinical practice issues.
- Collaborates with nurse managers in identifying and meeting unit specific needs pertaining to pain management.
- Integrates system thinking, ethical reasoning, and problem solving in identifying interventions that facilitate quality, cost effective patient care outcomes related to pain management.
* Registered Nurse
* Cert Nurse Specialist
* RN Pain Mgmt Cert
* Masters of Nursing
Experience:3-5 years’ hospital nursing experience, program management is required or equivalent
Demonstrates standards of performance (ownership, teamwork, communication, compassion) that support patient satisfaction and principles of service excellence.
Performs other duties as assigned.
Individual will possess commensurate combination of education, experience and qualifications.
This position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to the position. Depending on the location of the job, duties may vary. Receipt of the job description does not imply nor create a promise of employment, nor an employment contract of any kind; my employment with the Company is at will.
- Member Top 100 Hospitals – In 2016 NHRMC was recognized as a Top 100 Hospital demonstrating significant investment and financial sustainability for the communities we serve.
- Newsweek's 2020 list of Best Maternity Care Hospitals - NHRMC Betty H. Cameron Women's & Children's Hospital was named as a Best Maternity Care Hospital by Newsweek.
- Forbes America’s Best Large Employers 2018 and 2019- Link
- Becker’s 150 Top Places to Work in Healthcare- Link
- Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience
Consider a career at NHRMC and become part of this award winning team!