House Supervisor/RN- Emergency Department (Full-time) Great Bend Campus
Great Bend Hospital
COVID-19 and flu vaccines are required for all health system employees. Learn more.
Position Summary / Career Interest:
Current positions include:
The House Supervisor is responsible for assisting the leadership team with staffing coordination, shift operations and overall problem solving. In addition he/she assures and supports the appropriate use of resources and mentors clinical staff in the provision of quality care. In the absence of nursing supervisor/director,
the House Supervisor has the authority and responsibility for administrative decisions and appropriate notification of the Administrator-on-call.
- Contributes to the success of the facility strategic and performance improvement plans by supporting plan initiatives and ensuring staff participation.
- Coordinates activities needed to ensure these initiatives meet completion.
- Regularly communicates plan activities to staff and department director.
- Makes recommendations for plan improvements and streamlining processes.
- Participates in the fiscal responsibilities of the division by ensuring appropriate use of resources.
- Participates in determining staffing for the shift based on staffing matrices maintained in Patient Care Services.
- Reports variances on the staffing spreadsheet.
- Proactively seeks cost reduction opportunities.
- Consistently resourceful and provides leadership during times of stress for staff.
- Role models behaviors and judgments that cultivate an environment that encourages nursing practice autonomy and professionalism through responsible delegation and critical thinking.
- Conducts frequent rounds throughout the facility and follows up on staff needs, concerns, and questions in a timely manner.
- Appropriately responds to employee relations issues by providing timely feedback to the employee and completes documentation accordingly.
- Maintains regulatory and accreditation compliance by ensuring staff are competent and takes actions to improve compliance deficiencies with regulatory standards.
- Monitors compliance with standards of care by observation, verbal reports and written documentation; regularly gives feedback to staff.
- Monitors the implementation of all organizational policies by direct observation and interaction with staff.
- Mandatory education and competencies complete within the year specified.
- Exercises effective managerial techniques/skills within established lines of authority.
- Promptly and fully investigates and resolves complaints of patients, visitors, family members and physicians.
- Acts as a positive change agent; is self-directed in implementation of the management/administrative role.
- Effectively counsels employees as needed and appropriate.
- Facilitates negotiation and problem solving interdepartmentally throughout the organization with emphasis on promoting positive relationships.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- BSN preferred or must obtain within two years
- Two years of staff nurse experience
- Knowledge of general nursing theory and practice
- Knowledge of principles, methods and techniques involved in performing general nursing services and adapting or modifying standards of nursing practices for care of specific medical cases.
- Current Registered Nurse (RN) licensure in the State of Kansas or has work permit from the State Board of Nursing
- ACLS certification required within six months of employment
- PALS preferred or must obtain within one year of hire.
- Additional training preferred includes: CPI training, Crucial Conversation class, Charge Nurse Book Read, Staffing Meeting Education.
HIPAA: This position will have access to the following Protected Health Information in order to carry out the duties related to their position at Hays Medical Center based on the following criteria:
Primary - required (routine) to do the job
Secondary - required for the job, but mostly be exception
None - no approved access
Description of Information Level
- Patient Demographic Information (information used to identify a person): Name, Date of Birth, Address, Race, Marital Status, Religion
- Clinical Information (information that describes a patient's health status): Diagnosis, Reports/Medical Notes, Test Results, Problem List, Procedures, History and Physical
- Financial Information/Insurance (information related to insurance, billing and payment): Billing Information, Payer Name, Payer ID, Account Balances, Plan Elements Covered, Payment Information, Payment Rates
- Coding Information (clinical information that is in (alpha) numeric format): ICD-9 Codes, Rev Codes, CPT Codes
Initial and Ongoing training in dealing with infection control. Training's could include but are not limited to, blood borne pathogens, bodily fluids and bio hazardous materials as it applies to your daily work environment.
Job Requisition ID:
We are an equal employment opportunity employer without regard to a person’s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and sexual orientation), national origin, ancestry, age (40 or older), disability, veteran status or genetic information.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.