The Registered Nurse (RN) will provide care of the patients in the Maternity Department and will be responsible for performing procedures such as but not limited; start or check IV’s, administer medications, monitor vital signs, suction patients, and help patients with their personal needs. The RN will plan, provide, supervise and document professional nursing care utilizing the nursing process for patients in accordance with physician orders and established policies and procedures. The RN will use professional nursing judgment to individualize the plan of care based on assessment of the patient's baseline needs and response to care, delegate tasks and supervise the activities of other licensed and unlicensed care providers, and assist other nursing personnel in the delivery of nursing care and act as team leader or charge nurse for a group of patients or an entire unit as assigned.The RN performs functions as noted above and generally with an assigned patient load, but RN is ready and willing to assist co-workers with ANY nursing support function and across any case load including other units that may not be the normal primary work assignment.
All organizational staff, including this position, are specifically required as a condition of continued employment to make advance preparations for their families and pets in the event of weather emergencies such as Hurricanes and flooding threats. Any staff member can be determined as essential staff required to report to the facility during these events. In many cases this means reporting and sleeping at the facility before, during and after a weather emergency. By signing this job description, the staff member accepts this responsibility of readiness to report to work during any designated emergency staffing situation. CMC staff members operate as one team meeting the healthcare needs of our communities, thus this position will on occasion complete other duties as assigned beyond those designated in this primary job description which may include “float” coverage at an alternate facility, department or assignment.
- Associates’ degree (ASN) in Nursing required.
- Bachelors’ degree (BSN) in Nursing preferred.
- Two (2) years acute care experience preferred.
- One (1) year Labor and Delivery and/or OB experience is preferred.
- Current South Carolina (or compact state) licensure as RN (SCLLR) in good standing required.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification required.
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) certification must be obtained within six (6) months of employment.
- The ability to rotate through the on-call schedule on a regular basis required.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with co-workers, nursing colleagues, physicians, and department heads.
- Exemplary core customer service skills strongly required.
- Strong organizational skills required.
- Strong PC skills required.
- Strong verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement in emergency situations.
- Occasional exposure to difficult patients.
- Stress level high due to multiple demands frequently occurring simultaneously.
- Physical surroundings generally pleasant and comfortable.
- Frequent exposure to bio-hazardous materials.
- Prolonged standing and walking required.
Medium - While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently (activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) required to stand, sit, and walk; occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) to use hands, fingers; and frequently to talk or hear. The employee must exert 20 to 35 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 15 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Ability to hear to process instructions and safety code and alarms required. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job and will be assessed by post offer Employee Health fit-for-duty review.