At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
Northwestern Medicine has an exciting opportunity for a Mental Health Nurse Practitioner to work in our inpatient Psychiatry department. The MHNP works as a psych consult service doing direct consults on the medical floors and spends significant time working directly with nursing staff in management of the complex psychiatric patient on the medical floors.
Shift: M-F, days - possible to work 4x10s; no nights/weekends/holidays/on-call
The APRN, Cert Nurse Practitioner reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines, and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Provides direct care to patients which demonstrates clinical expertise and advanced knowledge.
- Diagnoses and manages acute and chronic health problems within specialty area of practice.
- Collaborates and consults with physicians and other health care professionals in area of clinical expertise.
- Develops educational systems and strategies for teaching patients, families and staff on topics related to area of expertise.
- Mentors graduate students in aspects of advanced practice.
- Actively participates in and/or conducts research pertinent to area of expertise.
Specific Performance Standards:
- Conducts comprehensive assessments of patients health status by taking health histories and performing advanced physical examinations in specialty area.
- Provides direct clinical care to patients as needed.
- Orders and interprets laboratory and diagnostic tests to establish diagnoses and develop a comprehensive treatment plan.
- Orders/prescribes medications, therapies, interventions and procedures according to clinical privileges.
- Documents in the medical record all care provided and/or procedures performed for which the Advanced Practice Registered Nurse is responsible.
- Collaborates with all members of the multidisciplinary team to develop and direct an individualized and comprehensive treatment plan.
- Coordinates the discharge planning process with patients, families and all members of the multidisciplinary team.
- Consults with other specialties and disciplines as appropriate to meet all health care needs of patients.
- Participates in unit/departmental/divisional or hospital committees/task forces and professional organizations.
- Advocates for patients, families, nursing staff and other members of the healthcare community.
- Assists in the development of policies and procedures in clinical area of expertise to establish standards for clinical practice.
- Consults with NM leadership in the identification, evaluation and problem solving of clinical system and process issues.
- Collaborates with NM leadership teams to develop, implement and evaluate strategic plans for quality improvement initiatives, utilizing evidenced based practice guidelines as appropriate.
- Collaborates with physicians to lead changes in clinical practice.
- Teaches and counsels patients and families in preventive care, medical conditions, plan of care, anticipated outcomes, and the use of prescribed treatments and drugs.
- Develops and participates in programs to meet educational needs of the clinical team related to area of expertise.
- Serves as a role model and preceptor for graduate students.
- Provides formal and informal education to both internal and external groups pertinent to area of expertise.
- Provides formal and informal educational programs to nursing staff graduate students and other healthcare professionals pertinent to specialty area.
- Collaborates with academic institutions to provide and promote clinical learning experiences and educational programs for APRNs, PAs, physicians in training and all health care professionals.
- Identifies relevant areas of clinical research and assists with development and coordination of research protocols and quality projects.
- Participate in/review evidence-based research/guidelines and apply to clinical practice.
- Collaborates with the multidisciplinary teams to conduct research and participate in clinical trials within area of expertise.
- Participate in service-line specific quality initiatives and development of outcome metrics.
- Masters degree from an accredited school/college of nursing.
- Mental Health Nurse Practitioner degree required
- Registered Professional Nurse (IL) license.
- Advance Practice Registered Nurse (IL) license.
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse certification by a national certifying body as approved by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers (American Heart Association) certification.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) certification required as specified by department.
- Controlled substance license and DEA registration required as specified by the department.
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.