Providence is calling a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) / Mental Health Technician (Mental Health, Variable, 0.0 FTE, Per Diem) to St. Patrick Hospital and Health Sciences Center in Missoula, Montana. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all – especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Apply today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with some additional questions from our ModernHire system!
In this position you will:
- Assist in maintaining a therapeutic milieu environment, leads therapeutic patient activities and psycho-educational groups as assigned.
- Maintain a therapeutic relationship with patients and family members.
- Treat each patient with appropriate dignity and respect; projects a non-judgmental attitude.
- Monitor patient behavior during non-structured activities; intervenes appropriately.
- Assist with patient’s comfort and mobility needs.
- Accurately measure and document patient vital signs, intake and output, and competently assists with patient care as assigned.
- Report abnormal data element findings to licensed staff .
- Promptly instructs patient and collects specimens as assigned.
- Complete delegated patient care activities and records and reports variations, ie hygiene, dressing, toileting and ambulating as assigned.
- Contribute to the assessment of the newly-admitted patient by collecting information for analysis by the RN.
- Give complete and accurate report to licensed staff upon completion of tasks and duties.
- Participate in the orientation of patients and family members to unit rules, routines, and introduces patient to staff and peers.
- Utilize knowledge of verbal and non-verbal communication skills in providing targeted therapeutic patient interactions.
- Prepare patients for meals, serves snacks and assists with feeding.
- Provide age and culturally appropriate patient care, upon the criteria outline in the Nursing Department Standard and the NBM Cultural Effectiveness Plan.
- Provide for safety needs of patients.
- Reinforce patient recovery through encouragement of self-help recovery skills and the patient’s treatment plan.
- Engage patients in personal interaction through conversation and activity.
- Safely assists patients with mobility and transfer needs.
- Utilize a collaborative interdisciplinary process to provide support to all members of the treatment team to reinforce basic patient/family education.
- Maintain an awareness of each patient’s treatment plan – patient problems, treatment goals, and staff interventions.
- Observe for and reports specific patient behaviors related to patient problems/goals.
- Communicate effectively with other team members regarding patient behaviors/conditions.
- Utilize a collaborative interdisciplinary process to provide support to all members of the Treatment Team in order to reinforce basic patient/family education.
- Assist in the supervision of visiting hours by promoting safe interaction.
- Participate in meetings, committees and continuing education to improve individual, departmental, and organizational performance.
- Report and document any unusual patient or administrative occurrence that may have an effect on the patient’s and/or staff’s well being.
- Document critical incidents when necessary.
- Perform clerical tasks as needed and requested, e.g. answering the phone, making up charts, labeling chart pages and filing.
- Document clinical information supporting assigned tasks accurately and completely in a timely manner, according to documentation policy.
- Provide clear, concise pertinent patient reports/information.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Current CNA certification in Montana
- Crisis Prevention certification required within 6 months of hire
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) card must be from the following authorized governing bodies: American Heart Association (AHA) - (BLS Provider), American Red Cross (ARC) - (BLS for Health Care Provider), or Military Training Network (MTN) – (Healthcare Provider) upon hire
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Experience in a hospital setting
- Prior experience in a psych unit
- Experience working with psychiatric patients
About the hospital you will serve.
St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula, Montana has more than 250 licensed beds and serves patients from 17 counties. We have been recognized as a Thomson Reuters Top 100 Hospital and among many other awards, have earned the Premier Award for Quality award repeatedly. Missoula is halfway between Yellowstone and Glacier National Park. It is a university city of 65,000, surrounded by big sky, scenic mountains, forests and renowned rivers.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Certified Nursing Assistant
Req ID: 317195