We are looking for an Infection Prevent Registered Nurse Specialist for the Infection Prevention Department at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
The Infection Prevention Surveillance Nurse performs data collection and surveillance activities for the purpose of defining and describing the occurrence and distribution of healthcare-associated infections, infection prevention management activities, and other relevant information, and assists in the operation of a wide variety of departmental programs. The Infection Prevention Surveillance Nurse requires minimal supervision. The infection prevention surveillance nurse implements and enforces Infection prevention policies and procedures, monitors the hospital environment for potential risks of acquiring and transmitting epidemiologically significant microorganism. Conducts and investigates outbreaks and report findings to the Infection Prevention Committee. Designs and implements interventions to prevent infections. Reports communicable diseases to the local and state public health departments and if necessary at a national level. Develops educational programs for compliance with regulatory requirements for surveillance reporting.
- Maintains the database for Infection Prevention (hospital acquired infections) and other conditions for mandatory reporting as required by regulatory bodies.
- Enters data into National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) database.
- Creates and maintains summary reports and applies statistical analysis and rate basing. Reports are presented to the Infection Prevention committee. Analyses statistical data to identify educational needs of staff. Develops and implements educational in-services and orientation program to meet the psychosocial and developmental age-related needs of population served.
- Abstracts and analyzes microbiological, serological and radiological test results from medical and laboratory records.
- Performs chart reviews to gather demographic and clinical information to assess and describe hospital acquired infections according to approved criteria.
- Performs hospital rounds in order to monitor compliance with infection prevention policies and in order to detect infection related problems. Evaluates the quality of infection prevention practices through observations and patient and staff interviews.
- Participates in Environment of Care rounds.
- Develops and implements infection prevention policies and procedures.
- Attends the Infection Prevention Committee meetings, reports outbreaks and potential problems, keeps the committee informed of developments, regulations and trends pertaining to infection prevention.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and developments by keeping track with current literature, attending conferences and remaining active in the Association for Professionals in Infection Control (APIC).
- Ability to abstract information from medical and laboratory records.
- Proficient in use of Windows operating systems, word processing and Excel.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Associate's Degree in Nursing or related field, or Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or related field.
Experience: 1 year experience in medical/surgical nursing, epidemiology, microbiology, or other related fields.
Licenses/Certifications: Current CA RN license or certification in field of expertise.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
- Master's Degree in Nursing or related field.
- Coursework/Training - Completion of a short course of study in infection control methods.
Experience: 5 years Clinical nursing experience.
Licenses/Certifications: Ability to write the Certification Board in Infection Control exam within 2 years of employment.
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Infection Prevention Nursing
Req ID: R341257