Providence is calling a Licensed Vocational Nurse (Full-Time/Day Shift) to Providence Medical Institute in San Fernando, CA.
We are seeking a Licensed Vocational Nurse who will be part of the team concept for the delivery of care in the ambulatory clinic setting with emphasis on disease prevention and health maintenance. This individual works closely with the clinical staff, front desk personnel and other related areas. Provide direct, professional nursing care to patients who present urgent, emergency or potential health problems utilizing basic nursing principles and following organizational policies and procedures. Serve as a role model and acts as a resource for Medical Assistants.
In this position you will:
- Act as a resource to the patient care delivery staff.
- Demonstrate competency with all position related software programs.
- Actively participate in continuing education and meetings.
- Demonstrate the Providence Core Values including patient-centered care and service; respect, caring and compassion; teamwork and partnership; continuous learning and improvement.
- Promote the mission of Providence externally in a positive way. Function as an ambassador for Providence when interfacing with anyone outside the organization.
- Develop and maintain effective and professional relationships with all patients, staff, and providers.
- Consistent use of AIDET system for excellent service.
- Deliver upon the service expectations of both our patients and caregivers by listening to their needs; engaging in positive interactions; and following through on promises made in a thoughtful, efficient, timely and courteous manner so that their total outcome is better than expected.
- Respect the dignity, confidentiality and privacy of patients.
- Work in a safe manner, adhering to general safety precautions and standards. Reports any unsafe conditions to their supervisor and/or clinic manager.
- Basic patient care skills -- vitals, history taking, EKG, catheterization, Accu check, sterile technique procedure set-ups, assists in minor procedures, pulse oximetry, phlebotomy, lab draws, autoclaving, controlled substance count, etc.
- Protime testing and procedure set-ups.
- Arrhythmia monitor hook-up.
- Administer oral, intramuscular, subcutaneous, topical, or intra-dermal medications after the mediation has been properly verified for the Rights of Medication Administration.
- Administer routine immunizations, therapeutic injections and skin tests. Documents appropriately.
- Perform blood pressure checks. Informs provider of unusual changes.
- Assist with emergencies as needed.
- Establish IV lines and monitors IV therapy as appropriate to LVN scope of practice.
- Provide accurate, complete, legible and timely documentation of all nursing procedures in the electronic medical record.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of nursing procedures.
- Demonstrate effective nursing judgment.
- Communicate clinically significant information to the physician, including but not limited to, abnormal test results, patient concerns and changes in the patient’s condition.
- Perform call backs of test results as directed by the Provider and within LVN scope of practice.
- Take patient phone calls and asks clinically appropriate questions. Communicate this information to the physician and follows up according to physician direction.
- Report promptly any suspected or potential violations to laws, regulations, procedures, policies and practices, and cooperates in investigations.
- Follow correct procedures for handling and disposing of bio hazardous infectious waste.
- Perform daily and weekly environmental cleaning and equipment quality control and maintenance.
- Order and maintain current inventories of medication and supplies.
- Check for outdated medication on a monthly basis.
- Comply with all applicable infection control and safety procedures.
- Seeks guidance and direction as necessary, for the successful completion of job duties, asking appropriate questions when in doubt.
- Demonstrate knowledge of all applicable compliance and legal requirements of the job based on the scope of practice of the position.
- Represent the organization in a positive and professional manner in the community.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Graduate of an accredited LVN school of nursing.
- Current CA State LVN license.
- IV Certification required for all PMF Urgent Cares and preferred for all other sites.
- Current BLS-HCP-Basic Life Support –for Healthcare Providers – American Heart Association (AHA)
- 2 years Current nursing experience.
- Requires ability to establish priorities, organize, plan and coordinate work activities.
- Strong written communication, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exercise good judgment independently.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction adjusting to changes in workload.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle multiple tasks under pressure.
- Ability to build trust and accountability with each team member regardless of their area of expertise. Flexibility, confidence, initiative and creativity.
- Ability to work in a high volume environment while maintaining high quality standards.
- Ability to self-manage, set priorities and operate with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to carry out defined procedures and duties under specific instruction.
- Ability to identify and solve problems, makes decisions, and implements changes.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully interact with clinic physician leadership and staff physicians to carry out clinic mission, goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to educate patients and families.
- Personal style which emphasizes openness, visibility and approachability.
- Excellent listening and follow-through abilities and a willingness to accept constructive criticism.
- Ability to travel between facilities in an efficient manner.
- 1 yearNursing experience in an ambulatory clinic setting, or minimum 1 year nursing experience in an acute care setting.
- Experience with Electronic Medical Records, Windows, and Excel-based software.
About the location you will serve:
Providence Health & Services Southern California is further developing its physician integration strategy. Historically, the largest asset has been Providence Medical Institute, a medical foundation that provides administrative and other support services to affiliated medical groups. Providence Medical Institute is expected to grow significantly in the next several years, bringing with it facilities, staff and physician growth to support that objective.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: LPN/LVN
Location: California-San Fernando
Req ID: 279324