We are looking for a Staff Registered Nurse for the Labor and Delivery Department at St. Mary Medical Center.
Location: Apple Valley, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 72 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 12-hour, Nights
Within the identified roles of Practitioner, Teacher and Leader, the staff Registered Nurse provides collaborative and comprehensive care based on patient and/or family needs. The staff Registered Nurse implements and evaluates care delivery based on predicted outcomes while anticipating potential responses provides assessment, treatment and care throughout the hospital and outlying clinics. The staff Registered Nurse will practice in accordance with all regulatory, professional, legal and hospital policies. The Staff Registered Nurse works independently under limited supervision directly reporting to the Unit/Department Supervisor, Director of Assistant Vice President.
- Performs a complete patient assessment that encompasses the patient’s physical, physiological, emotional and spiritual status.
- Formulates a nursing diagnosis based upon the patient assessment and develops and implements an individualized patient care plan that is based upon collaboration with the patient and the assessment of the patient.
- Performs procedures/treatments, administers medications and provides nursing care based upon established clinical practice (policy and procedures), the patients plan of care and physician orders.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the care plan through observation of the patient’s physical condition and behavior, signs and symptoms of illness and reactions to the treatment. Through communication with the patient and the health team members, including shift to shift report modifies the plan as needed.
- Develops, coordinates, and implements the individual patient/family education plan together with the multidisciplinary team.
- Provides and documents patient/family education within the Registered Nurse’s scope of practice. Communicates effectively with members of the health care team with regard to patients condition and needs.
- Acts as the patient/family advocate as circumstances require by initiating action to improve health care or to change decision or activities which are against the interest or wishes of the patient or family and by giving the patient/family the opportunity to make informed decisions about health care before it is provided.
- Coordinates discharge planning of the simple patient and obtain necessary orders for discharge.
- Delegates tasks to Team Members based on scope of practice, competencies and qualifications.
- Effectively supervises care being given by Nurses Aides, Licensed Vocational Nurses and Student Nurses.
- Participates in orientation of new employees and student nurses.
- Demonstrates critical thinking capabilities.
- Participates in continuing education programs offered by SMMC. Assists and participates in committee work as requested. Is an effective member of the healthcare team and participates in 75% of department and unit staff meetings.
- Knows staff nurse is a team member in the Utilization Management process.
- Participates in multidisciplinary conferences.
- Documents patient specific data/information concisely and thoroughly, according to hospital and regulatory agency requirements.
- Completed all CEU requirements in accordance with RN license renewal.
- Meets performance standards for the Maternal-Child Care Mother-Baby Registered Nurse.
- Presents at least one unit-based fetal strip review and participates in at least 50% of the fetal strip reviews present by staff members.
- Demonstrates skill in the application of the external fetal monitor, preparation for internal monitoring (FSE and IUPC), accurate documentation on the fetal strip and central monitoring archival system (maintaining security, alarm parameters, and patient confidentiality), use of various equipment such as fetal monitors, pulse oximeters, dynamap, infusion pumps, and blood warmers, and delivery room set up utilizing sterile technique.
- Maintains 5 of 15 CEUs in Labor and Delivery care.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and basic understanding of the care necessary for the laboring patient during progression through the various phases and stages of labor, support of the childbearing family through the grieving process with complete and accurate documentation for the continuum of care for the neonate or fetus, triage of R/O labor through the interpretation and reporting of accurate and complete findings to the physician, and emergent situations to either the maternal and/or fetal patients.
- Demonstrates knowledge of childbirth relaxation and breathing techniques and acts as coach or resource for the childbearing family. Understands and educates the family about the dynamic psychosocial effects the birth will bring to childbearing relationships.
- Anticipates the need and prepares for tests and procedures such as US, Amniocentesis, AROM, FSE, IUPC, Vacuum extraction, Forceps, Version, Delivery or Cesarean section.
- Accurately prepares dosing, administration, and monitoring for Oxytocin, Mag Sulfate, Tocolysis, Prostin, and Cervidil.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment (copier, fax, personal computer, printer, telephone, nurse call system).
- Basic knowledge of nursing procedures.
- Ability to troubleshoot basic nursing and unit specific equipment.
- Demonstrates competencies in IV initiation and management.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- Associate's Degree
- Coursework/Training Other training as specific to unit requirements.
- Coursework/Training Environmental Orientation within 30 days of hire.
- Coursework/Training General RN competency within 30 days of hire.
- Coursework/Training Unit Specific competency within 90 days of hire.
- Current California Registered Nurse License by evidence of Primary Source Verification.
- Current BLS.
- Other certifications as specific to unit requirements.
- Basic or Advanced Fetal Monitoring within 6 months of hire; renewal every 2 years until EFM National Certification is obtained.
- ACLS (within 6 months of hire).
- NRP (within 6 months of hire).
- Electronic Fetal Monitoring Certification by the National Certification Corporation required within 3 years of hire; to be maintained with renewal every 3 years
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Experience: 2 years experience in a hospital environment.
St. Mary Medical Center (SMMC) is an acute care hospital with 213 beds and over 1,750 employees making it one of the region's largest employers serving communities of the High Desert. The facility was constructed in 1956 and joined the St. Joseph Health System in 1992.
This facility has the only Neonatal Care Unit in the High Desert Accredited by California Children Services and has been granted approval as a Special Hospital with the California Children's Services Community Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. St. Mary was accredited as a primary Stroke Receiving Center in 2018, the only stroke-receiving center in the High Desert.
The Services and Clinical Specialties offered at this Hospital are Diabetes Education, Emergency Services, Heart and Vascular Services, Imaging Services, Rehabilitation Services, Respiratory Services, Robotic Surgery Services, Surgical Services, Women & Children's Services and Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine.
Company: St. Mary Medical Center
Category: Labor & Delivery/Obstetric Nursing
Req ID: R336154