We are looking for a Registered Nurse II for the Surgical Services Department at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 72 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 12-hour, Days
The RN independently uses the nursing process to safely, therapeutically and efficiently care for a group of patients. Uses information from a variety of sources to assess, plan, implement, identify outcomes and evaluate patient's plan of care. The Clinical Nurse II oversees the duties and competencies of the healthcare team; these include the performance of nursing assistant duties, and in specified departments basic respiratory, phlebotomy, cardiology, clerical, food service, and environmental services duties as applicable. The Clinical Nurse II will practice in accordance with all regulatory, professional, legal, and hospital policies.
- CLINICAL PRACTICE: The practitioner is accountable to recognize the health and quality of life needs of patients, family, and community and to collaborate with them to achieve mutually agreed upon goals. The practitioner utilizes his/her specialized skills and scientific knowledge to design collaborative and integrated care that binds together all resources in a goal oriented movement toward health. Components of clinical practice are competence, evidenced based practice/continuous quality improvement, advanced practice nursing, and practice standards.
- Provides a safe environment specific to age and development of the patient.
- Provides safe environment specific to age and development of patient population served.
- Adheres to all safety policies and procedures.
- Identifies safety issues or hazards in the work environment and communicates deficiencies appropriately.
- Develops ongoing plan for self-development.
- Demonstrates knowledge of standards of care for patients in daily practice including knowledge of procedures for high-risk patients. In addition can verbalize knowledge that standards of care/procedures are research based.
- Develops and completes annual plan with nurse manager/designee including time frame for obtaining necessary skills/education.
- Verbalizes current knowledge of the standard of practice in their nursing specialty.
- Seeks opportunities to be taught, coached and mentored.
- Seeks information regarding specialty certification (Verbalizes knowledge that the opportunity exists in specialty).
- Assists in creating an environment that promotes educational growth opportunities for peers.
- Assesses team members, students, and orientee’s use of newly learned skills in the work setting per established standards of care and standards of practice (Looking at competencies, skills in accordance with standards of practice).
- Designs learning opportunities for team members, students, and orientees in acquisition of skills (Seeks information from staff on educational needs, participate with educator, advanced practice, Clin III or Clin IV in filling the needs).
- Assures quality through application of policy, procedure, standards of care, clinical pathways and protocol changes.
- Demonstrates awareness of literature in the area of evidence-based practice (Ability to verbalize names of relevant journals and is able to access them).
- Acts as a resource to other team members when clarification is needed (Brings in articles that are of interest to share with peers – especially important for unusual or high risk patients).
- Questions orders that deviate from usual standard of practice.
- Incorporates performance improvement recommendations into clinical practice (Ability and willingness to carry our recommendations - for example from implementation of new product or technology, new practice from literature review recommendations).
- Participates in data collection for research/studies as directed (Collects pt data for research, chart review).
- Maintains clinical competence.
- Maintains knowledge of nurse practice act (Knowledge of RN, LVN and CNA scope).
- Demonstrates and maintains competence in required hospital wide and service specific competency programs (Participation in skills day, specialty competencies i.e. fetal monitoring, oncology certification, TBI competency).
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served including knowledge of the principles of growth and development, psychosocial characteristics, and interventions for age-specific requirements of the assigned unit (Evaluation of staff members nursing care plans).
- Utilizes nursing process to perform a comprehensive, age-specific assessment of patient and family needs.
- Performs a comprehensive patient/family physical assessment on assigned patients demonstrating the ability to integrate cultural, psychosocial and spiritual needs of the specific population served.
- Identifies trends in patients’ clinical course, assesses proactively, when necessary.
- Utilizes an interdisciplinary approach to assessment.
- Serves as a clinical resource in the development of basic assessment skills interventions.
- Identifies formal teaching needs for specific patients/ families and communities.
- Includes ability to go beyond items on the pre-printed teaching record when needed by patient.
- Identifies teaching goals with patient/family and utilizes resources to develop complex, interdisciplinary teaching plans.
- Identifies ongoing needs and makes referrals utilizing community resources.
- Assures that patients/families have acquired all necessary skills and referrals for post-hospitalization.
- Utilizes nursing process to develop and revise plan of care.
- Obtains resources and collaborates with other departments regarding teaching needs (audit of teaching record).
- Identifies and selects appropriate patients for patient care conferences (Number of patients ID for pt conferences).
- Initiates discharge planning upon admission and facilitates the discharge plan based upon the patient’s continuing care needs.
- Plans for interventions that minimize complications and life-threatening situations.
- Participates in interdisciplinary conferences (Number of conferences attended).
- Implements safe and therapeutic care for patients.
- Implements plan of care for patients of moderate complexity.
- Re-prioritizes as necessary to adapt to changing patient condition, work environment and patient assignments.
- Responds to individual/cultural differences in patient/family care.
- Evaluates patient assessment, planning and implementation in relation to intended goals and progress toward expected outcomes.
- Involves the interdisciplinary team in evaluating the patient’s/family’s progress toward attaining expected outcomes.
- Utilizes ongoing assessment data to revise the diagnoses, outcomes, and plan of care as needed.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of interventions and the patient’s response in relation to outcomes.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills with patients, patients' families, and ancillary departments.
- Good math skills and basic computer data entry skills.
- Current clinical skills of unit specific type patients.
- Analytical skills necessary in order to organize and prepare nursing care plans, implement effective nursing care, and develop solutions to patient care problems.
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail when performing professional nursing care and dealing with patients and families often under intense situations.
- Proficient in required competencies upon completion of orientation, as listed on the unit specific orientation and competency assessment form, and may also be listed on performance criteria documents.
- Ability to coordinate and delegate team activities.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- Any current employee who was hired before March 2014 and was already enrolled in an Associate Degree in nursing program before March 2014, and who graduates with an Associate Degree in Nursing, can be hired as an RN. They must be enrolled in a BSN program at the time of transfer into the RN role
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or obtain within 2 years of hire; must be enrolled in program at time of hire (effective March 1, 2018).
Experience : Effective March: 1, 2018, experienced RN’s must have 1 year of experience.
- California RN License.
- BLS for Health Care Provider – American Heart Association.
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Surgical Services (Intraop)
Req ID: R338019