Providence is calling a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA)/Unit Secretary ( Surgical Acute, Variable Shift, 0.7 FTE) to Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
- Consistently demonstrate adherence to the principles and requirements outlined in the Commitments and Compliance Integrity Program and any other organization or departmental materials related to compliance with laws, regulatory requirements.
- Consistently demonstrate adherence to Medicare and Medicaid regulations which directly or indirectly relate to the performance and job expectations.
- Employee demonstrate knowledge of PSMMC’s policy on Patients Rights and Responsibilities and respects these rights and responsibilities in carrying-out daily activities.
- Actively participate in departmental and organization performance improvement activities in accordance with hospital and joint commission standards.
- Demonstrate leadership by performing his/her work in a manner that meets or exceeds the level of care and service that PSMMC promotes to the communities we serve.
- Participate in hospital and department specific practices to maintain a clean, safe and comfortable environment for patients and staff.
- Maintain the security and confidentiality of data and information used in performance of his/her daily duties conforming to hospital policy, laws and regulations as appropriate.
- Follow established policies and procedures to identify and reduce the risks of acquiring or transmitting infection.
- Maintain positive working relationships and fosters a cooperative work environment.
- Communicate effectively with patients, physicians and staff in a professional manner.
- Provide clear, concise, pertinent reports/information.
- Contribute to the assessment of the patient by collecting information for analysis by an RN:
- Complete delegated patient care activities and records and reports variations.
- Document legibly according to policy.
- Recognize and report signs/symptoms of abuse and neglect for all ages of patients served.
- Provide nutritional requirements and recognizes barriers that limit intake appropriate to ages of patients served.
- Awareness of developmental tasks appropriate to ages of patients served.
- Utilize a collaborative interdisciplinary process to provide support to all members of the Patient Care Team to reinforce basic patient/family education.
- Adhere to safety precautions including hazardous wastes and proper sharps disposal.
- Transcribe orders in a timely, legible and accurate manner, and asks for clarification when necessary:
- Administrative Data Screen
- Maintain the medical records according to institutional guidelines, ensuring that all required documents and results are properly posted and included in the patient’s record.
- Report abnormal findings to licensed staff (including vital signs and O2 sats).
- Ensure effective use of Facilities – promptly reports facility maintenance issues to appropriate personnel.
- Ensure effective use of Supplies/Equipment – minimizes supply wastage. Charges appropriately for supplies used.
- Document all clinical information supporting assigned tasks accurately, legibly and in a timely manner.
- Report and documents any unusual occurrence that may have an effect on the patient’s and/or staff’s well-being.
- Assist in orienting families. Provides ways of finding information to families in a positive and courteous manner.
- Demonstrate ability to function as a member of care delivery team by: Participates as team member to ensure delivery of quality patient care in cost effective manner; Performs clerical duties related to admission, transfers and discharges.
- Follow through with delegated tasks appropriately.
- Welcome and encourage new staff members and students.
- Submit charge sheets to outpatient and observation charges accurately and enters hemodialysis charges accurately.
- Order supplies within the unit budget.
- Employee complete all tasks and duties accurately and timely within assigned shift. Demonstrates initiative to perform job duties autonomously.
- Attend mandatory and other education offerings per department and hospital requirements. May assist with education on the unit.
- Expected to perform most job duties independently and in accordance with established departmental and hospital policies and procedures.
- JOB SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS:
- Attend unit staff meetings (50%).
- Accept objective suggestions for improved performance.
- Function as a preceptor. Services as a resource person for nursing staff.
- Complete preceptor evaluation as assigned.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Current license in the State of Washington as Nursing Assistant Certification.
- Current BLS – Healthcare provider (must be AHA accredited).
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Successful completion of an orientation program or equivalent
- Clerical experience
- One year of Medical /Hospital acute care experience
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence St. Mary Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington is a full service hospital with some of the best technology, expertise, specialists and primary care physicians in the region. We have been named the 100 top hospitals in the United States by two separate, independent research companies, Solucient and Cleverly Associates. Walla Walla is located in the southeastern region of Washington state and offers a sunny, mild climate, the benefits of living in a historic college town, outdoor activities and excellent public & private schools at all levels.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Certified Nursing Assistant
Location: Washington-Walla Walla
Req ID: 305237