Providence is calling a Hospice Triage Nurse (Per Diem/On call, Evening Shift) at Providence Trinity Care Hospice. The position will help cover visits 5pm-1:30am and be on call 1:30am-8am.
Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system.
We are seeking a Hospice Triage Nurse who will provide holistic care to terminally ill pediatric or adult patients and their families by assessing the needs of the patient, and then planning, coordinating, implementing, and as needed, revising the Plan of Care. This position works collaboratively with the interdisciplinary hospice group (IDG) with the goals of anticipating changes in the patient's condition, avoiding crises, promoting patient and family choice, ensuring continuity of care, and enhancing the quality of life of dying patients. Shift, schedule and caseload of shifts and caseload may vary according position assignment.
In this position you will:
- Assess the needs of terminally ill hospice and palliative patients and families by phone, with special attention to the symptoms and comfort of the dying patient; provide immediate problem-solving support
- Contact covering MDs to obtain needed medications, arrange for nursing visit if needed, and/or provides follow-up communication to other Hospice staff regarding patient/family needs
- Implement nursing interventions based on the Plan of Care and Hospice policies and procedures
- Anticipate disease progression and implications for symptom management
- Inform patient and family of current and anticipated changes in patient condition as appropriate
- Instruct patient and family in all aspects of care and end of life
- Responsible, with assistance from the MSW, for understanding patients’ insurance benefits and managing care in a cost effective manner
- Evaluate and document patient and family response to interventions; revises the Plan of Care as appropriate
- Document RN assessments, interventions, and communications accurately and timely according to established standards
- Manage assigned caseload and communicate changes in Plan of Care to IDG as appropriate or requested
- Contribute to overall Hospice team function through effective time management and communication; utilize critical clinical thinking and problem-solving skills to address team issues
- Maintain awareness of professional Scope of Practice and Hospice Conditions of Participation
- Adhere to Providence policies and procedures, and applicable regulations
- Participate in Continuous Quality Improvement activities, identify related issues and implement recommended changes as appropriate
- Associate's Degree in Nursing
- Current California RN License
- Current California State Driver's license and proof of automobile insurance
- Current CPR License
- Automobile insurance
- 3 years nursing experience
- Demonstrated skills in clinical nursing assessment and treatment skills
- Knowledge of the Medicare Conditions of Participation and other regulatory guidelines
- Knowledge and alignment with Providence philosophy and standards of care
- Able to work in a way that is consistent with/supportive of Ministry’s mission, philosophy, goals and objectives
- Demonstrate competency by maintaining positive, collaborative, and constructive interpersonal relationships. understand and practice the principles of effective teamwork
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with families in crisis while maintaining professional boundaries and personal self-care strategies for dealing with stress
- Proven ability to build effective and professional relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels of the organization, both within and outside of the Providence system
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Able to effectively communicate complex information to diverse audiences
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to a wide variety of cultural and value systems
- Able to prioritize work assignments and meet productivity and quality standards
- Able to work with minimum supervisory guidance and exercise independent judgment within the scope of practice
- Is willing to assume additional responsibility and learn new procedures
- Proficient in using computers and Microsoft Office Suite programs
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Hospice certification or advanced certification
- Prior Hospice, Homecare, Long Term Care, medical/surgical, and/or oncology experience
- Knowledge of hospice and palliative care practices
- Knowledge of Electronic Health Record systems
About the hospice you will serve.
Providence TrinityCare Hospice, established in 1977, is the oldest and largest non-profit hospice in Southern California and the first to be licensed by the State of California. Caring for people in Los Angeles and Orange Counties with professional teams. Providence TrinityCare Hospice is Medicare Certified and Joint Commission accredited. We also provide the only specialized pediatric hospice service in Los Angeles County.
As the only pediatric hospice in Los Angeles County, Providence TrinityKids Care understands the impact a seriously ill child can have on the life of a family. A specialized division of TrinityCare, TrinityKids Care helps children with life-limiting illnesses leave the hospital in order to spend as much time as possible at home with their families.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Advice Nursing
Req ID: 306091