We are looking for an Infection Prevention Specialist for the Performance Improvement - Area Department at Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital.
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
The Infection Prevention Specialist will support the organization's Infection Control Program. As an Infection Prevention professional, the employee will provide consultation, and support to all facility operations with professional accountability in the following functions: surveillance, epidemiological studies, outbreak control, data management and reporting, education, monitoring, consultation, and performance improvement.This position will focus on a sound ongoing knowledge of the Joint Commission's National Patient Safety Goals and regulatory mandates (SB 1058, 158, 739 and 1301) as they pertain to the organization's culture of safety. On a regular basis and as new information pertinent to the National Patient Safety Goals (NPSGs) and regulatory mandates becomes available the Infection Control Data Analyst will be responsible for providing the organization's Patient Safety, Infection Control and Institutional Quality Committees with organization-wide data that demonstrates compliance. The Infection Prevention Specialist will aggregate, review, analyze and enter data that supports the organization's Patient Safety and Infection Control Programs. This includes interfacing with the Centers for Disease Control and California Department of Public Health (CDPH) by providing them with reports, including written summaries, data, information on special projects and compliance documentation. The Infection Control Data Analyst will perform extensive research that will substantiate clinical data reports by identifying supportive data. This position functions with minimal guidance. Exceptional skill in prioritizing and handling multiple tasks is essential. Must have the ability to effectively present data and communicate infectious disease and statistical concepts to all audiences.
- ICPs collaboratively administer the infection control program on assigned campuses throughout Sonoma County using an integrated approach to achieve improvement of infection control and health care outcomes in a cost-effective manner.
- Management of critical data and information through:
- Surveillance for endemic nosocomial rates.
- Outbreak detection and control.
- Special projects and studies utilizing epidemiological principles and statistical techniques.
- Identification and monitoring of antibiotic resistant organisms.
- Documentation and reporting.
- Benchmarking with internal, local and national data.
- Collaboration to achieve and maintain accreditation readiness and compliance with regulatory agencies in all infection control standards including, JCAHO, DHS, CMS, and OSHA. Includes reporting communicable diseases to the appropriate agencies.
- Development of integrated, area-wide policies and procedures related to infection control, which are practical, scientifically valid and result in improved outcomes for patients, staff, and visitors.
- Education, training, and leadership:
- Planning and development of educational offerings for individuals and groups of various sizes, purposes, and educational levels. Continual monitoring and training on patient care practices.
- Consultation and collaboration in infection control matters:
- Provided to administration and management, hospital and clinic staff, physicians, patients, visitors, Medical Access, Home Care, Hospice, Behavioral Health, and outside agencies.
- Acts as a liaison to the general public.
- Serves as Infection Control resource on Medication and Nutrition Team, Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee and its subcommittees (e.g., Antibiotic Use Team), Safety Committee, and the Product Evaluation Committee, for respective campuses.
- Participates as needed in county-wide meetings related to infection control.
- Performance Improvement:
- Works collaboratively with physicians and staff throughout the organization to identify opportunities for improvement in infection prevention, formulate action plans and evaluate effectiveness.
- Facilitates patient teams to achieve specified outcomes.
- Participates in achievement of core measure benchmarks.
- Implements IHI bundles and SJHS goals to achieve improvements in infection prevention.
- Infection Control Committee:
- Prepares reports for the Committee.
- Prepares and submits reports to medical staff departments and committees as indicated.
- Mechanisms of disease transmission.
- Basic medical microbiology.
- Patient care practices.
- Adult learning theory.
- Mechanisms of cost containment.
- Effective leadership techniques.
- Understanding of research principles.
- Computer literacy, i.e. accessing internet, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, graphics, flowcharting and e-mail.
- Concepts and techniques of performance improvement.
- Basic knowledge of statistics.
- Legislative and regulatory processes.
- Data input, data processing, data analysis, graphic presentation of same, database management.
- Federal, state, and local regulations pertaining to infection control.
- Independent decision making and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Effective communication skills and diplomacy.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing or appropriately related health care field, e.g., Microbiology, Certified Lab Scientist, Public Health, etc.
- Coursework/Training - Attends basic course in Infection Control within first year as deemed necessary by IC Manager.
Experience: 2 years experience in acute care hospital/ clinical setting.
Licenses/Certifications: Current California Licensure as a Registered Nurse as appropriate.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
- Master's Degree in Nursing, Public Health, or equivalent related healthcare field.
- Coursework/Training - Lean/Six Sigma training.
- Lean/Six Sigma experience.
- Experience in infection control, public health, microbiology, and teaching.
Licenses/Certifications: Certification in Infection Control (CIC)
Providence St. Joseph Health (Providence) has worked for decades to improve health and quality of life in California's North Bay region, starting in Sonoma County, where the Sisters of St. Joseph of Orange opened the doors of Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital in 1950. Today, we continue the mission begun by the Sisters to those we serve through an integrated spectrum of primary, urgent, acute, outpatient, palliative care and regional referral services. Sonoma County facilities aligned with Providence include the 278-bed Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, the region's only Level II trauma center. In addition, the 80-bed Petaluma Valley Hospital and 43-bed Healdsburg Hospital are secular (non-religious) affiliates of Providence. Our services also encompass three Urgent Care centers, Hospice of Petaluma, Memorial Hospice and North County Hospice, the Annadel Medical Group doing business as St. Joseph Health Medical Group, as well as the St. Joseph Home Care Network (post-acute care services). We act as a regional referral hub for outlying hospitals, while also providing outpatient behavioral health care, education to promote health and prevent chronic disease, rehabilitation, oral health care, community benefit programs, and more, all fostering health and quality of life throughout the area.
Providence provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Providence complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as "on call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Sonoma County Entities
Category: Infection Prevention Nursing
Req ID: R336739