We are looking for a Risk Management Registered Nurse Specialist for the Risk Management Department at Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center.
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Work Schedule: Full time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
Supports the Risk Management, Regulatory Compliance and Patient Safety programs through investigation and analysis of potential and actual adverse events, claims, and regulatory compliance and accreditation related occurrences or deficiencies, participation in Root Cause and Intense Analyses, and relevant committee attendance.
- Assists with activities relating to improving organizational performance and patient safety.
- Review of all Unusual Occurrence Reports (UOR), conducting initial analysis to identify potential liability, compensability, or if mandatory regulatory reporting is required.
- Provides investigative support (medical record and relevant document review for patient complaints, identification of witnesses and involved parties, interviews of caregivers and vendors, research of related standards of care) for potential or actual events, professional and general liability claims, and regulatory or accreditation agency related reviews of occurrences or deficiencies.
- Provides support for regulatory agency survey readiness and reporting activities.
- Provides investigative and other support for Root Cause and Intense Analyses.
- Assists with Claims and Insurance department and external legal counsel; obtains documents and other data necessary to the discovery process on behalf of Claims and Insurance representatives and legal counsel.
- Ensures Director is kept apprised of status of investigations and discovery requests.
- Supports the Director in development of educational programs.
- Prepares summaries of UOR data for the Director, Leadership and committees as necessary.
- Attends hospital and medical staff committee meetings as required.
- Maintains and enhances knowledge of regulatory and accreditation requirements related to Risk Management, Regulatory Compliance and Patient Safety.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, professional affiliations, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of risk management, patient safety and performance improvement.
- Knowledge of the healthcare industry.
- Knowledge of regulatory and accreditation agency requirements.
- Proficiency in MS Office programs and computer skills.
- Strong critical thinking, communication (verbal and written), and organizational skills.
- Must be able to consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to interact collaboratively with physicians, patients, and employees at all levels of the organizational hierarchy.
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Clinical or Healthcare related discipline
Experience: 3 years recent clinical experience in a hospital-based healthcare setting.
- Membership in the American Society of Health Care Risk Management (ASHRM), or to be obtained within the first year of hire.
- RN License required
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Master's Degree in Clinical or Healthcare related discipline.
Experience: 1 year experience in Risk Management
Licenses/Certifications: Certified Professional Health Care Risk Management.
At Mission Hospital with locations in Mission Viejo and Laguna Beach, CA our core values of Compassion, Dignity, Justice, Excellence and Integrity translate into an environment where the welfare of our patients always comes before the bottom line. As a member of Providence Health System, we serve all of south Orange County.
Mission Hospital Mission Viejo is a Level II Trauma Center and is the area's designated regional trauma center. We have Centers of Excellence in heart, maternity, trauma, breast care, spine, vascular, stroke and brain injury.
Mission Hospital Laguna Beach provides local coastal communities with 24-hour emergency department services, medical/surgical services, behavioral health programs including inpatient and outpatient psychiatric and chemical dependency services and an outpatient eating disorder program.
Mission Surgery Center performs approximately 4,500 annual surgeries and provides a safe and convenient outpatient setting. It is accredited by the Accreditation Association of Ambulatory Health Care.
We've received two Beacon Awards for clinical excellence and in 2012 we received Magnet Designation which recognizes hospitals for top patient care, quality nursing and innovations in nursing and healthcare. We offer a collegial work environment with competitive salaries and benefits.
Mission Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Mission Hospital complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Mission Hospital Regional Medical Center
Category: Quality Nursing
Req ID: R334097