The Psychiatric Nurse Aide provides patient care services under the clinical supervision of the Unit Manager in order to provide quality psychiatric direct care in the inpatient setting. Works as a valued member of the professional team to provide verbal and supportive movement to meet individualized goals of the treatment team. Responsible to the Unit Manager and the Charge Nurse. Safe, effective, performance of direct patient care duties.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES/CRITICAL TASKS
• Work involves providing personal health services (assist with eating, drinking, bathing, mobility, and other care) and every 15 minute monitoring of behaviors.
• Assists nursing staff to provide therapeutic environment to promote living and social skills of all persons with mental illness.
• Recording information on progress notes and other required forms and communication with other staff regarding patients.
• Will assist in inventory for patient belongings as directed.
• Work is assigned 12 hour shift rotation with holidays and weekends as assigned.
• The duties, location of work and shift/pattern are subject to change.
• Completion of Annual Mandatory Training, SAMA training, TB testing, and required licensure and certifications before expiration date.
• Male PNA staff is expected to respond to Behavioral issues such as “Code Bert”.
• Other duties, as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
• Minimum of high school diploma or equivalent, AND certification as a nursing assistant is preferred. Will accept two (2) years’ experience with Behavioral patients as a PNA in lieu of CNA certification.
• Minimum of two years' experience in direct patient care in long term care and/or hospital settings.
• Experience in the care of geriatric and psychiatric patient preferred.
REQUIRED LICENSES/ CERTIFICATION
• Must possess and maintain a current American Heart Association or American Red Cross BLS certification.
• Must maintain current SAMA certification
• Required to maintain competency in the patient safety functions related to their position and unit.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler is committed to encouraging good health. As part of its efforts to achieve these goals of a tobacco-free hiring process, if you are offered a position at The University, you will be subject to a Pre-Employment Drug Screen for tobacco compounds in compliance with applicable state laws.