This position is responsible for assisting in the delivery of personalized, professional and quality patient care, internal and external customer service, assuming responsibility and accountability for the patient, providing nursing care for the patient to include the assessment, planning, implementation, management and evaluation of the patient within the standards of nursing care and operational guidelines, transportation of patients to and from the Cardiovascular Laboratory, preparation of all departmental paperwork, entering and retrieving patient information from the Hospital Information System (HIS), providing nursing care or education in other nursing units when necessary and maintaining the work area in a clean and organized manner.
- Personal Effectiveness - Meets established timelines; follows through to ensure completion of assigned objectives, seeks feedback to improve performance, and demonstrates a positive, “can do” attitude
- Innovation and change - Looks for opportunities to improve processes and services, makes an effort to learn and develop new skills, and is resourceful and enthusiastic in responding to new challenges
- Fostering Teamwork - Is open and honest in dealing with others, demonstrates commitment to team objectives, and sees challenges facing department and helps the team to address them
- Quality Services - Delivers high quality services to internal and external customers, accepts responsibility and takes action to address quality issues, and helps operations & services respond to the needs of caregivers
- Integrity - Adheres to a standard of ethical conduct that promotes trust and open communication, earns trust by living up to commitments, and can be counted on to keep confidences
- Maintains effective communication with medical staff, administrative staff, nursing staff and other team members.
- Assists the organization in incorporating the guiding principles into its cardiovascular practice.
- Ascertains the delivery of patient care is provided in a personalized, professional and quality manner.
- Ascertains that Joint Commission, local, state and federal accrediting and licensing bodies’ requirements are met.
- Ascertains that the delivery of patient care is compliant with the accrediting and regulatory agencies.
- Assists in the Quality Assurance / Improvement Program of Cardiovascular Services.
- Explains cardiovascular procedure to the patient and / or family member in a thorough and professional manner.
- Educates patient and / or family member on an on-going basis, documenting education on patient record.
- Performs assessments / data collection in an ongoing and systematic manner, focusing on physiologic, spiritual, cultural and age appropriate needs of the patient.
- Develops a realistic, comprehensive plan of care using appropriate resources. In collaboration with a multidisciplinary team
- Processes and evaluates physician orders in a timely manner. Clarifies discrepancies, notifies physician with abnormal / critical lab results.
- Collaborates with physicians and other health care professionals regarding patient care. Notifies physician of changes in the patient’s condition.
- Supervises and evaluates delivery of nursing care provided by healthcare team members.
- Provides nursing care for the patient to include the assessment, planning, implementation, management and evaluation of the patient within the standards of nursing care and operational guidelines.
- Administers medication demonstrating knowledge of medications, actions, interactions, dosage, side effects and contraindications. Abides by hospital policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates proficiency in IV therapy. Assesses peripheral sites within appropriate size to therapy ratio. Assesses need for central line use.
- Performs efficiently in emergency patient situations by remaining calm, informing appropriate individuals and documenting events.
- Maintains a constantly prepared environment.
- Serves as patient advocate and ensures patient autonomy.
- Documents appropriately on patient’s medical record.
- Enters and retrieves patient information from the Cardiology Picture Archiving Communication System (CPACS) in a proficient manner.
- Enters and retrieves patient information from the Hospital Information System (HIS) in a proficient manner.
- Transports patients to and from Cardiovascular Laboratory ascertaining that the patient is relocated without injury or incident.
- Ascertains that the delivery of patient care and billing are compliant with the accrediting and regulatory agencies.
- Ascertains that patient charges are entered correctly.
- Performs stress electrocardiograms (treadmill and pharmacological).
- Maintains cardiovascular laboratory and work area in a clean and organized manner.
- Any other duty that may be assigned.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated proficient communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to operate office equipment including telephones, computers, copiers, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to compile and present information in an organized manner.
- Completion of required education to obtain Texas licensure as a Registered Nurse.
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year experience required; three (3) years of experience preferred
- Previous employment in a cardiovascular setting preferred.
- B. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
- Registered Nurse (RN) with Texas Board of Nursing – OR – current home state license is required for multi-state license recognition through the Nurse Licensure Compact.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification through the American Heart Association.