Providence is calling a Registered Nurse (RN) ( Home Health Spokane Vna, Day Shift, 1.0 FTE) to Providence VNA Home Health in Spokane Valley, Washington. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
This position is eligible for a $5,000 sign-on bonus for external candidates .
In this position you will:
- Assess the physiological, psychosocial, spiritual and cultural needs of the patient/family.
- Accurately complete OASIS assessments utilizing observation and interview techniques.
- Demonstrate competency in OASIS assessment.
- Assess the patient’s level of pain on every visit.
- Identify the need for HHA, MSW, Pharmacy, OT, PT, RD, or SLP services and collaborates with the Case Manager who contacts the physician for orders.
- Visualize all medications the patient is currently using in order to identify any potential adverse effects and drug reactions, including ineffective drug therapy, significant side effects, significant drug interactions, duplicate drug therapy and noncompliance with drug therapy.
- Instruct patients on how and when to take the medications and the purpose for each drug as indicated.
- Provide appropriate interventions and follow up based on assessment.
- Identify discharge plan at admission reflecting the patient/care giver (cg) responsibilities during services and after discharge.
- Collaborate in the development of the patient’s plan of care based upon physician orders, OASIS-C assessment, evaluation of patient needs and patient goals.
- Demonstrate knowledge of reimbursement rules, restrictions and benefits as they relate to planning care.
- Participate in team conferences for care planning and evaluation.
- Apply principles of infection control in all care.
- Teach the patient and/or family members all aspects of care promoting full participation as able.
- Perform technically precise interventions in accordance with best practices.
- Ensure that physician orders are present for all services; Collaborates with the Case Manager to obtain orders as needed.
- Notify physician of changes in patient status at the visit when possible, takes orders and documents in secure message.
- Assess supply needs and orders supplies as needed during the visit.
- Evaluate effectiveness of care at each visit and discusses changes needed to plan of care with the patient’s case manager.
- Track progress of wounds and recommends WOCN evaluation if no improvement in 14 days.
- Include patient/family in evaluating effectiveness of care.
- Collaborate with Case Manager in the development of patient summaries as needed.
- Review patient’s outcomes with Case Manager to assess need for discharge.
- Review OASIS for accuracy with Case Manager.
- Document all contacts with patients, family, caregivers, physicians and team members.
- Document patient/family response to teaching.
- Documentation reflect knowledge/application of reimbursement requirements.
- Documentation is clear and concise with attention to dates, spelling and grammar.
- Documentation is completed in the patient’s home as much as possible.
- All documentation is completed in a timely manner as defined by PVNA policy.
- Comply with synching requirements as defined by PVNA policy.
- Admission visit narrative reflects patient’s needs and problems for POC development by Case Manager.
- Delegate and supervise selected nursing functions to others in accordance with their education, credentials and demonstrated competence.
- Establish the HHA plan of care in collaboration with the Home Health Aide.
- Revise the Home Health Aide Plan of Care to reflect changes in the patient’s condition.
- Complete and document HHA supervision every 14 days.
- Promote proper body mechanics with HHA staff and establishes a HHA Plan of Care that assures safe transfers.
- Patient Data Security:
- Comply with the PVNA “Securing Patient Data During Offsite Patient Care” policy.
- Keep passwords private.
- Lock devices when not in use to prevent unauthorized viewing.
- Exit out of RoadNotes before closing the laptop.
- Shut down the laptop at the end of the shift.
- Immediately notifies a manager of any loss of patient data.
- Participate in annual “patient information security” training.
- Leave patient information (electronic or paper) at the PVNA office when away from work greater than five working days.
- Professional Practice:
- Demonstrate compliance with PVNA wound care standards of care.
- Demonstrate compliance with PVNA palliative care standards of care.
- Demonstrate compliance with PVNA diabetic standards of care.
- Follow best practices as identified as by PVNA.
- Represent PVNA in a professional manner at all times.
- Communicate respectfully and collaboratively with all employees valuing the strengths of diversity and teamwork.
- Interact with supervisor regularly.
- Report out-of-ordinary circumstances to supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Serve on committees and/or task forces to better meet the needs of patients improve working conditions or to improve quality of care or increase productivity.
- Perform process improvement activities as assigned.
- Participate in peer review.
- Actively participate in identifying ways of improving work quality, patient services and/or job task.
- Identify own strengths, area for growth and goals with the supervisor during evaluation process.
- Consistently demonstrate a positive customer service attitude.
- Apply critical-thinking and problem-solving skills in the practice of professional nursing.
- Willingly engage in professional debate and demonstrates a willingness to explore practice strategies that maximize patient outcomes and cost-effectiveness.
- Demonstrate accountability for patient care outcomes.
- Appropriately manage and utilize supplies and equipment.
- Promote continuity of patient care.
- Meet productivity expectations.
- Provide feedback to peers sharing nursing knowledge and expertise.
- Assist in the orientation of new staff members and students as appropriate and requested.
- Adjust schedule if unexpected problems occur in collaboration with Case Manager.
- Take responsibility for maintaining optimal personal health - attendance and punctuality meet standards identified in personnel policies.
- Participate in 80% of staff meetings and educational meetings.
- Complete annual CPR, body mechanics, infection control updates.
- Manage bag per PVNA policy.
- Professional Ethics:
- Promote patient's right to self-determination, privacy, and confidentiality.
- Function as patient advocate while promoting self-care .
- Identify, discuss and resolve ethical concerns with other team members, clinical managers and the Ethics Committee as appropriate.
- Maintain therapeutic professional boundaries in all contacts with patients, families and staff per PVNA policy.
- Behavior adhere to the principles and requirements outlined in the “Providence Health Care Integrity Program”:
- Participate in compliance related training and ongoing education.
- Properly apply related Medicaid and Medicare regulations in performing job responsibilities.
- Ask questions and seeks guidance from manager or appropriate resource if unsure of a policy or procedure.
- Immediately report any concerns, or suspected violation of integrity program to manager or compliance coordinator as appropriate.
- Promote accident prevention for self, co-workers, patients and families by following established safety procedures.
- Proactively work with patients and caregivers to create a safe environment for care.
- Follow PVNA guidelines for assessing and managing safety risks, i.e. weapons, mental illness, domestic violence, pets.
- Alert colleagues of risk factors to coordinate a management plan.
- Identify the PVNA protocol for accessing security or a security escort.
- Identify and utilizes process for concern/incident reporting.
- Follow the PVNA check-in procedure.
- Use appropriate body mechanics/ergonomic positioning.
- Follow office safety and building security procedures.
- Obey traffic laws, including speed limits and seat belt use.
- Maintain vehicle for safety and secures equipment and supplies.
- Operate cell phone per policy and not while driving.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Degree/diploma from accredited school of nursing
- 1 year experience in acute care
- Current RN license in Washington State.
- Current valid driver’s license for operator of vehicle and personal vehicle insurance at prudent coverage levels as determined by PVNA management
- Evidence of current CPR training and negative TB screen
Preferred qualification for this position include:
- BS Degree in nursing from accredited school of nursing with public health preparation.
- 3 years experience in home health, acute care or a skilled nursing facility.
- Recent home health, acute or extended care experience
About the ministry you will serve.
Providence VNA Home Health is a not-for-profit, home health ministry serving patients in their places of residence in the greater Spokane community of Washington state. We provide health care for patients of all ages who have a temporary condition such as post-surgical care, or are recovering from or living with a chronic condition. Our skilled and compassionate team includes nurses, medical social workers, home health aides, registered dietitians, occupational/physical/speech therapists, and pharmacists.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Home Health Nursing
Location: Washington-Spokane Valley
Req ID: 297032