We are looking for a Clinical Nurse Specialist for the General Surgery Department at St. Jude Medical Center.
Location: Fullerton, CA
Work Schedule: Full Time - 80 Biweekly Hours
Shift: 8-hour, Days
Under the general direction of the Director Surgical Services, The Clinical Nurse Specialist/Advanced Practice Nurse is responsible for coordinating the Surgical/Procedural Services Program to meet the needs of the patient, family, staff and physicians. Is a registered nurse that holds a master's degree in nursing and has expertise in surgical/procedural care. As an advanced practitioner, provides evidenced-based nursing care in complex clinical situations via direct care, education, consultation, and collaboration with nursing and health care team. The CNS promotes excellence in nursing by disseminating current scientific knowledge, participating in research and acting as a role model.
The CNS facilitates co-ordination of the patient care/education while monitoring appropriate utilization of resources throughout the continuum of care. Functions as a consultant/resource to other staff and departments. Assists with staff orientation, skills validation/training, educational classes as needed for maintenance/advancement of clinical skills and ongoing quality improvement of patient care/outcomes.
- Practices according to NACNS or AACN's Standards Of Practice For Clinical Nurse Specialist, relevant to critical care/cardiac patients, families, nursing staff healthcare team and organizational systems; Collects data and analyzes assessment data to determine needs. Identifies expected outcomes and develops and facilitates a plan that prescribes interventions to attain expected outcomes.
- Effectively implements interventions identified in plan(s) and evaluate progress toward attainment of expected outcomes. Systematically develops criteria for and evaluates the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice/organizational systems.
- Evaluates practice in relation to professional practice standards and relevant regulations. Acquires and maintains current knowledge and competency in surgical/procedural nursing. Contributes to the professional development of peers and colleagues. Decisions and actions are made on behalf of others are determined to in an ethical manner. Collaborates with patient, families, and health care team in creating a healing and caring environment. Utilizes, participates in, and disseminates research to enhance practice. Influences the resource utilization in order to promote safety, effectiveness, and fiscal accountability in the planning and delivery of patient care. Effectively monitors the Clinical III bedside nurses annual goals.
- APN/CNS Role: Is grounded in surgical/procedural nursing practice and the full scope of nursing practice. Contributes to nursing knowledge and the development and advancement of the profession. Participates in care management and monitoring of patient outcomes with ancillary/care management departments. Demonstrates and balances the five interrelated components of APN/CNS role; practitioner, educator, consultant, researcher, and leader.
- Practitioner: Is prepared to asses and intervene in complex nursing care problems within the surgical/procedural specialty as well as to promote health in diverse clinical settings. Provide expert care based upon experience and in-depth knowledge of nursing and other relevant sciences. Serves as an advocate and liaison for the patient, family, nursing staff, physicians and other health care professionals. Coordinates with the healthcare team in problem solving activities and quality Improvement action planning for the ongoing provision of quality and cost efficient patient care.
- Educator: Works directly with patients, families, nursing staff, other health care professionals and community to promote environment conducive to learning. Develops, evaluates, coordinates and/or provides educational programs and/or materials related to surgical/procedural services. Develops co-ordinates and/or provides educational classes for orientation, maintenance and validation staff clinical competencies; serves as a resource for education related to The Joint Commission regulations. Demonstrates critical thinking skills and provides education and mentoring to staff as needed. Provides an educational assessment for surgical/procedural patients to develop an interdisciplinary plan education and discharge planning for patients/families. Supports and facilitates the process of positive change within Saint Jude Medical Center.
- Consultant: Shares specialized knowledge and provides consultation to patients, families, and nursing, other healthcare team professionals, heath care institutions, professional organizations and policy makers regarding surgical/procedural services. Consults with healthcare team to enhance patient care and nursing skills to deal with complex and challenging situations. Participates in and/or chairs intra and interdisciplinary conferences and committees.
- Assists Director and Managers with management of material resources of the surgical/procedural program in accordance with projected budget. Assists Director and Mangers to develop, review and revise surgical/procedural services policies and procedures. Assists Director and Mangers with strategic planning.
- Participates in ongoing monitoring, evaluation and action planning to improve patient, staff and physician satisfaction. Participates in the development and monitoring of Quality Improvement Plans. Establishes and revises indicators as needed to maintain quality patient care.
- Researcher: Evaluates and appropriately incorporates scientific findings and current evidence based research into clinical practice. Strengthens the link between clinical nursing and research. Participates in nursing/interdisciplinary research and disseminates findings to improve the quality of nursing care. Supports in the research process by promoting questions, activities, projects, and applying findings into practice.
- Leader: Promotes quality care through in-depth assessment of patient's/nursing staff needs, development and evaluation of policies, standards of care, and clinical programs and services. Directs surgical/procedural care activities as well as plans, implements and evaluates changes in clinical practice. Provides clinical leadership by acting as a resource, facilitator, coordinator, role model and patient/nursing advocate.
- Clinical knowledge and skill, or ability to develop knowledge and skills for specialty area as specified in performance standard.
- Current knowledge of theory, techniques and practices of surgical/procedural care nursing.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to problem-solve, analyze situations, think critically, provide constructive feedback and team building with others.
- Computer skills.
- Preferred: Leadership in the advanced practice of nursing to achieve quality and cost-effective patient outcomes as well as provide leadership of multidisciplinary groups in designing and implementing innovative alternative solutions that address system problems and/or patient care issues.
- Preferred: Project management and system innovation skills.
Minimum Position Requirements:
Education: Master's Degree in Nursing.
Experience: 3 years Perioperative care experience (scrubbing and circulating).
- Current RN License with the California Board of Registered Nursing.
- Basic Life Support-Health Care Provider Level.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support-Health Care Provider Level.
- Basic arrhythmia certification.
- Clinical Nurse Specialists (CNS) certification; must be completed with 6 months - 1 year.
- Current certification in area of specialty (i.e., CCRN, CEN, CNOR).
Preferred Position Qualifications:
Education: Coursework/Training - Teaching credential or teaching experience.
- Certified Nurse-Operating Room (CNOR).
- Certified RN First Assistant (CRNFA).
- Clinical Nurse Specialist Perioperative Certification (CNS-CP)
St. Jude Medical Center is a faith-based, non-profit, 384-bed, tertiary care facility, and is one of Southern California's most-respected and technologically-advanced hospitals. With nearly 700 of the area's finest physicians on staff, St. Jude offers nearly every medical specialty and sub-specialty. Whether for the birth of a baby, life-saving surgery or a routine mammogram, St. Jude continues to set the standard for medical care and offers the community the most comprehensive array of services and programs.
St. Jude Medical Center provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Jude Medical Center complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Positions specified as “on call/per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: St. Jude Medical Center
Category: Clinic/Ambulatory Care Nursing
Req ID: R329645