Providence is calling a Registered Nurse (RN) Community Health Worker (Community Health Workers, Variable, 1.0 FTE) to Providence Health System in Anchorage, Alaska. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
- Perform comprehensive individual and family assessments which include health history, physical assessment, growth monitoring, developmental assessment,psycho-social assessment, assessment of family functioning, assessment for substance abuse or domestic violence issues, and assessment of basic needs including food, housing, income, resources and supports, and access to health care.
- Practice infection control and universal precautions for self and others in patient care activities.
- Maintain patient rights and dignity.
- Annually completes compliance education and understands applicable policies.
- Meet the productivity standards of the organization
- Provide care coordination, referral and follow-up to individuals and families who are members of a vulnerable population and/or high-risk groups. Evaluates outcomes, effectiveness of plan, and makes changes as necessary in conjunction with the Community Health Workers.
- Use public health surveillance/disease investigation methods in community outreach, screening, and case finding of communicable and infectious diseases that threaten the health of the community.
- Provide education and counseling to individuals, families and community groups that are adapted to their unique needs, lifestyle, cultural and socio-economic situation.
- Collaborate in development and delivery of programs and activities for individuals, families and population groups that promote health and prevent disease
- Participate in response teams to prevent, minimize, and contain adverse health events and conditions resulting from communicable diseases; food-, water-, and vector-borne outbreaks; chronic diseases; environmental hazards; injuries; and health disparities.
- Contribute to a work environment that fosters ongoing educational experiences regarding public health nursing for colleagues, nursing and other health-related students, healthcare professionals and members of the community.
- Demonstrate knowledge of applicable state professional practice guidelines for registered professional nurses, the American Nurses’ Association Scope and Standards of Practice for Public Health Nursing any other Federal and State laws and regulations applicable to practice as an public health nursing professional.
- Provide clinical oversight to Community Health Workers in their daily tasks
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Valid Alaska RN license
- Current Driver's license and current automobile liability insurance
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support certification
- Two (2) years public health nursing experience
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Experience with EHR
- National Incident Management System (NIMS)/Incident Command System (ICS) 100, 200 and 700.a certification
- Fluency (medical language) in a language other than English
- Breastfeeding support at either the peer counselor or IBCLC level
About Providence Alaska Medical Center
Providence Health & Services Alaska is among nation’s best employers for healthy lifestyles! The National Business Group on Health, a non-profit association of large U.S. employers, has honored Providence Alaska for its commitment and dedication to promoting a healthy workplace and encouraging our caregivers (employees) and families to support and maintain healthy lifestyles. Mountain-Pacific Quality Health has awarded Providence Alaska Medical Center with its Quality Achievement Award for high-quality care in the areas of heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical infection prevention. This is the highest honor awarded by Mountain-Pacific.
As the state’s largest hospital, Providence Alaska Medical Center provides full-service, comprehensive care to all Alaskans, a role unmatched by any other in the state. Within our community, you will find top notch ski resorts, kayaking, and wildlife. Enjoying the outdoors is just one of many reasons to live in and explore Alaska!
For information on our comprehensive range of benefits, visit:
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Nursing - Other
Req ID: 288251