Providence is calling a Clinical Nurse Specialist - NICU for a Full-Time/Day Shift at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica, CA
Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with some additional questions from our Modern Hire system
Please upload a current resume reflecting all relevant experience
We are seeking a Clinical Nurse Specialist who will be responsible for coordinating the NICU Services Program to meet the needs of the patient, family, staff and physicians. Is a registered nurse that holds a master's degree in nursing and has NICU expertise. As an advanced practitioner, provides evidenced-based nursing care in complex clinical situations via direct care, education, consultation, and collaboration with nursing and health care team. The APN promotes excellence in nursing by disseminating current scientific knowledge, participating in research and acting as a role model.
The APN facilitates co-ordination of the patient care / education while monitoring appropriate utilization of resources throughout the continuum of care. Functions as a consultant / resource to other staff and departments. Assists with staff orientation, skills validation / training, educational classes as needed for maintenance / advancement of clinical skills and ongoing quality improvement of patient care / outcomes.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Practice according to NAAN’s Standards Of Practice, relevant to NICU infants, families, nursing staff healthcare team and organizational systems; Collect data and analyzes assessment data to determine needs. Identify expected outcomes and develop and facilitate a plan that prescribes interventions to attain expected outcomes
- Effectively implement interventions identified in plan(s) and evaluates progress toward attainment of expected outcomes. Systematically develop criteria for and evaluates the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice/organizational systems
- Evaluate practice in relation to professional practice standards and relevant regulations. Acquire and maintains current knowledge and competency in NICU nursing. Contribute to the professional development of peers and colleagues. Decision and actions are made on behalf of others are determined to be in an ethical manner. Collaborate with patient, families, and health care team in creating a healing and caring environment. Utilize, participate in, and disseminate research to enhance practice. Influence the resource utilization in order to promote safety, effectiveness, and fiscal accountability in the planning and delivery of patient care. Effectively monitors the Clinical bedside nurses' annual goals
- APN/CNS Role: Is grounded in NICU nursing practice and the full scope of nursing practice. Contribute to nursing knowledge and the development and advancement of the profession. Participate in care management and monitoring of NICU outcomes with ancillary / care management departments. Demonstrate and balance the five interrelated components of APN / CNS role; practitioner, educator, consultant, researcher, and leader
- Practitioner: Is prepared to asses and intervene in complex nursing care problems within critical care / cardiac clinical specialty as well as to promote health in diverse clinical settings. Provide expert care based upon experience and in-depth knowledge of nursing and other relevant sciences. Serve as an advocate and liaison for the patient, family, nursing staff, physicians and other health care professionals. Coordinate with the healthcare team in problem solving activities and quality Improvement action planning for the ongoing provision of quality and cost-efficient cardiac patient care
- Educator: Work directly with patients, families, nursing staff, other health care professionals and community to promote environment conducive to learning. Develop, evaluate, coordinate and / or provide educational programs and / or materials related to NICU Services. Develop, co-ordinatesand / or provide educational classes for orientation, maintenance and validation staff clinical competencies; serve as a resource for education related to The Joint Commission regulations. Demonstrate critical thinking skills and provide education and mentoring to staff as needed. Provide an educational assessment for NICU families to develop an interdisciplinary plan education and discharge planning for families. Support and facilitates the process of positive change within Saint John's Health Center
- Consultant: Share specialized knowledge and provide consultation to patients, families, and nursing, other healthcare team professionals, heath care institutions, professional organizations and policy makers regarding NICU. Consult with healthcare team to enhance patient care and nursing skills to deal with complex and challenging situations. Participate in and / or chairs intra and interdisciplinary conferences and committees
- Assist Director and Manager with management of material resources of the NICU program in accordance with projected budget. Assist Director and Manger to develop, review and revise NICU policies and procedures. Assist Director and Manger with strategic planning for the Nursing Department, Educational Department and NICU Services
- Participate in ongoing monitoring, evaluation and action planning to improve patient, staff and physician satisfaction. Participate in the development and monitoring of Quality Improvement Plans. Establish and revises indicators as needed to maintain quality patient care
- Researcher: Evaluate and appropriately incorporates scientific findings and current evidence-based research into clinical practice. Strengthen the link between clinical nursing and research. Participate in nursing / interdisciplinary research and disseminates findings to improve the quality of nursing care. Support in the research process by promoting questions, activities, projects, and applying findings into practice.
- Leader: Promote quality care through in-depth assessment of patient’s / nursing staff needs, development and evaluation of policies, standards of care, and clinical programs and services. Direct NICU activities as well as plans, implement and evaluate changes in clinical practice. Provide clinical leadership by acting as a resource, facilitator, coordinator, role model and patient / nursing advocate
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Master's Degree in Nursing
- Current RN License with the California Board of Registered Nursing
- Basic Life Support-Health Care Provider Level
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support-Health Care Provider Level
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program Provider Level
- 3 years NICU experience
- Clinical knowledge and skill, or ability to develop knowledge and skills required for specialty area as specified in performance standard
- Current knowledge of theory, techniques and practices of NICU nursing
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to problem-solve, analyze situations, think critically, provide constructive feedback and team building with others.
- Computer skills
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Basic Life Support-Health Care Instructor Level
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support-Health Care Instructor Level
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program Instructor Level
- Neonatal certification (Must be completed within 6 months - 1 year)
- CNS certification (Must be completed within 6 months - 1 year)
- Teaching experience/credential
- Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing Certification / Neonatal Certification
About the hospital you will serve:
Providence Saint John’s Health Center in Santa Monica, California, is part of Providence Health & Services, an integrated, not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, medical clinics, home health services, affiliated services and educational facilities in the western United States. Founded in 1942, Providence Saint John’s Health Center enjoys a reputation for clinical excellence across many disciplines.
The 266-bed health center has a medical staff of more than 900 physicians, 1,800 employees and a host of volunteers who share a commitment to providing quality care for all.
For information on our comprehensive range of benefits, visit:
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Clinical Education
Location: California-Santa Monica
Req ID: 289000