Providence is calling a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Nursing Resource Pool , Nights, 0.9 FTE, 36 hours per week) to Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
- Demonstrate understanding of and provide care according to Standards of Practice and the patient’s care plan. These duties are under the direct supervision of a licensed RN and performed according to the staff members expected competencies. Perform duties that assist with activities of daily living such as bathing, ambulating, and nourishment. Transport labs, obtain clean catch and other types of urine samples, perform point-of–care testing to include blood glucose, transport and/or escort patients, as well as hold patients/infants for care or procedures. In appropriate areas: May assist with breastfeeding as a trained Peer Counselor
- Communicate effectively with the RN or other caregivers regarding patient issues, family issues, MD issues, and equipment. Utilize the “Hand Off of Communication Tools, “SBAR”. Communicate in a compassionate and professional manner with all staff, patients, families, providers, and visitors
- Watch patients closely for changes in their health and responds by informing RN immediately. Also report problematic and unusual circumstances in a timely and consistent manner, to RN partner or charge nurse
- Electronically documents information in an accurate, concise and timely manner. Competent in the input and retrieval of this information within the patient’s medical record. Responsible for documenting vital signs, I/Os, pain scores, weights, meal intake, activities of daily living and any other necessary information
- Possess knowledge of the Hospital and National Patient Safety Goals:
- Use at least two ways of identifying patients, name and date of birth
- Use hand cleaning guidelines, before and after patient contact
- Exercise all preventative measures in patient fall prevention as outlined in PAMC Falls Prevention Policies and Procedures
- Possess knowledge of patient care needs for maintaining skin integrity. Report redness to Registered Nurse responsible for patient care
- Follow defined process to ensure paper medical records are routed correctly to HIM to be scanned into the electronic medical record
- Assist in scheduling treatments and test and the printing patient labels Oversee the front desk operations, including the welcoming and check-in of patients, families and visitors
- Maintain and operate multiple telecommunications systems. Understand and able to coordinate the process for downtime slips. Facilitate inter-department communication regarding transfers, admits and discharges
- Maintain and operate multiple pieces of equipment in a safe and effective manner to improve patient care
- Accurately maintain department records, report, and file per procedure. Assist with maintenance of patient databases and unit specific audits. Assist with collection of data for quality measures as appropriate and necessary. Responsible for measuring and recording unit refrigerator temperatures on a daily basis per hospital policy
- During a code, assists code team by obtaining necessary equipment, supplies and people
- Assist in the patient admitting, transfer, and discharge procedure. Transport patients via wheelchair and stretcher
- Assist in orientation/teaching other hospital employees
- Responsible for maintaining, ordering and stocking unit supplies in an efficient and cost effective manner. May arrange environmental maintenance and repairs as needed and follow up on work orders not completed
- Prepare rooms for procedures, with required equipment and supplies stocked to appropriate levels
- Clean designated unit specific equipment according to Infection Control standards
- Complete initial and annual Competency Plan for assigned job and department
Required qualifications for this position include:
- High school graduate or General Equivalency Degree (GED) or equivalent education and experience
- Completed training program for Certified Nurse Aides or equivalent education and experience
- Completion of Medical Terminology course or successful completion of hospital Medical terminology test within 90 days of hire
- Active CNA certification in the state of Alaska
About Providence Alaska Medical Center
Providence Health & Services Alaska is among nation’s best employers for healthy lifestyles! The National Business Group on Health, a non-profit association of large U.S. employers, has honored Providence Alaska for its commitment and dedication to promoting a healthy workplace and encouraging our caregivers (employees) and families to support and maintain healthy lifestyles. Mountain-Pacific Quality Health has awarded Providence Alaska Medical Center with its Quality Achievement Award for high-quality care in the areas of heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia and surgical infection prevention. This is the highest honor awarded by Mountain-Pacific.
As the state’s largest hospital, Providence Alaska Medical Center provides full-service, comprehensive care to all Alaskans, a role unmatched by any other in the state. Within our community, you will find top notch ski resorts, kayaking, and wildlife. Enjoying the outdoors is just one of many reasons to live in and explore Alaska!
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Certified Nursing Assistant
Req ID: 289604