Surgical Specialty RN Team Leader
Position Summary / Career Interest:
Under the direction of the Nurse Manager, Operating Room, the Specialty Resource RN services as the primary clinical support for the specialty service through mentoring, education and role-modeling in their specialty. The role facilitates the advancement, efficiency, and effectiveness of patient care in their supported service.
Demonstrates/implements nursing process for specific patient population. Provides care based on physical, psycho/social, educational, safety and related criteria appropriate to the ages of patients/customers in assigned areas.
- Provides patient care on a routine basis.
- Monitors and assists with room turnover and case set-up.
- Works with Unit Coordinators to assign and adjust POD staffing relative to patient acuity, flow, productivity and efficiency.
Provides for continuous updating and evaluation of educational needs within specialty area. Demonstrates commitment to professional growth and keeps updates on current practices.
- Monitors specialty nursing performance and practice and collaborates with Nurse Manager to facilitate action to correct deficiencies.
- Work with the Unit Educator team to implement appropriate orientation and education plans. Provides feedback as needed.
- Enforces and maintains intraoperative standards of care relevant to specialty services.
- Assumes responsibility for maintaining current knowledge and competency in area of specialization.
Provides for smooth day-to-day operation within the OR for assigned specialties
- Prepares and maintains preference cards, policies, and procedures for the OR.
- Monitors the flow of the daily schedule to assure the most efficient utilization of rooms, monitors case progression to identify potential roadblocks and assists with patient care when needed.
- Serves as technical resource person.
- Directs and/or performs troubleshooting of equipment and/or procedural problems including equipment repair.
- Collaborates with Supply Chain Liaison to maintain adequate and appropriate inventories of supplies.
- Assists with the evaluation of new procedures/products and staff compliance in the OR.
- Collaborates with Manager, SPD on the maintenance and turnover of instrumentation.
- Demonstrates knowledge of proper documentation process.
Provides information in development of annual budget. Is a good steward of fiscal resources.
- Reviews and revises specialty instrument sets, ensuring appropriate weight and composition. Communicates effectively and collaboratively with Manager, SPD regarding changes.
- Identifies supply and equipment requests with physicians in specialty areas.
- Meets regularly with each specialty surgeon to evaluate service line needs including practice needs.
- Maintains open communication among surgeons, team members, management; regarding instrument processing, storing, restocking and inventory of specialty instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Supports cost containment efforts of the hospital through conservation of supplies and care of equipment.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Current Registered Nurse in Kansas
- Bachelors Degree in Nursing Required
- Minimum of 2 years experience in the Operating Room with leadership experience
- BLS Required
- Leadership experience
- Advanced certification preferred within two years of hire
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.