Clinical Nurse (Registered Nurse) - Medical Intensive Care Unit- MICU
Position Summary / Career Interest:
The Clinical Nurse I provides professional nursing care through assessment and accurate documentation, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation for the comfort and well-being of patients. Carries out a plan of care specific to unit competencies for the target patient population. Coordinates care delivery and education through collaboration with patient, family and all health care team providers to ensure safe, effective and quality patient care. Follows organizational policies in providing safe patient care. Performs other duties as assigned.
We are currently hiring for a Clinical Nurse (Registered Nurse) on our Medical Intensive Care Unit.
Various Shifts Available
Medical Intensive Care
The Medicine Intensive Care Unit (MICU) strives for excellence and has been awarded the Beacon Award for the AACN. The Medicine ICU serves and admits the critical care adult population under the Pulmonary Critical Care service. We are a fourteen bed unit where our experienced and knowledgeable staff thrives on providing care for patients with complex medical conditions and multi-system disease processes, such as: liver failure, severe sepsis and septic shock, renal failure, pulmonary hypertension (PH), acute/chronic respiratory failures/failure-to-wean,
diabetic keto-acidosis , drug overdose/toxicity, hematology-oncology, critically ill obstetric patient (OB), and cystic fibrosis (CF). The MICU is a closed unit, where only the Pulmonary Critical Care providers have admitting privileges to the unit and manage patient care with consulting services. We also admit patients via the Rapid Response Team (RRT) and Code Blue Team and the transfer center. Patients transfer in when the care needed exceeds community hospital resources, or the patient needs care that we specialize in.
The University of Kansas Health System is the region’s premier academic medical center recognized for quality by:
U.S. News & World Report ranks The University of Kansas Hospital as the best in Kansas City and in Kansas.
The hospital is the first in Kansas to earn Magnet designation for nursing excellence and one of few to earn it 3 consecutive times.
Our health system ranks 5th among 99 academic medical centers, earning Vizient’s 2018 Bernard A. Birnbaum, MD, Quality Leadership Award
- Provides professional nursing care through assessment and accurate documentation, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation for the comfort and well-being of patients.
- Carries out a plan of care specific to unit competencies for the target patient population.
- Coordinates care delivery and education through collaboration with patient, family and all health care team providers to ensure safe, effective and quality patient care.
- Follows organizational policies in providing safe patient care.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Patient Care Services - Bachelor's Degree in Nursing (BSN)
- ADN prepared nurses hired after February 24, 2017, must complete BSN degree by the fifth anniversary of employment as an RN with UKHS. Must have at least 2 years of RN experience.
- BLS Certification
- Registered Nurse in State of Kansas
- 6 months or more experience as a Clinical Nurse
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.