Clinical Informatics Manager- User Support
Position Summary / Career Interest:
This role requires advanced/expert skills in the practice of Informatics, management of projects and people. This position reports to the Informatics Department. Informatics is a specialty that integrates healthcare science, computer science and information science to manage and communicate data, information, knowledge and wisdom. This role provides direction to the informatics staff of the assigned informatics service area. Manages informatics roles that participates in the entire information system life cycle to assure value delivery from information systems across all Health System campuses. Provides Informatics leadership consult on various initiatives, such as, process management, system and process analysis, data quality standards and system adoption. Analysis consists of evaluating impacts, current state against desired future state with consideration to policy, compliance, evidence, quality, operational standardization, workflow implications, reliability and usability of the system. Data quality consists of supporting data standards and information flow to support the performance improvement of professional clinical practice using information systems (standardized terminology, discrete data concepts, decision support tools, data warehousing, data mining). System adoption consists of the application of usability concepts, education and use of the system to support efficient and effective clinical and business operations.
The goal of this role is to provide coordination with collaborative teams and direct oversight to the staff working on the assigned Informatics team. Desired results include user adoption of the EHR and various information systems, data procurement for clinical decision support, research and business intelligence, interoperability of the EHR, and to achieve optimal patient quality outcomes as a result of system support.
- Leadership and Influence: Demonstrates leadership skills within the Informatics department, across the Health System, and among the industry and community. Manages the designated in Health System informatics service area within the Informatics program according to defined standards, assuring appropriate utilization of resources as identified and implemented to achieve organizational goals effectively and efficiently. Provides leadership for operational planning, projects, enhancements and implementations of designated systems related to the designated support department. Works with departmental leadership to set goals, priorities, and escalate issues as appropriate. Influences and resolves differences across organizational boundaries; gains support and commitment from others. Role models exceptional Informatics skills.
- Communication: Able to establish straightforward, productive relationships with individuals and teams across the organization. Able to explain complex concepts in language that is easily understood by individuals from diverse disciplines. Demonstrates excellent facilitation skills. Facilitates a culture of collaboration and trust between clinical (nursing, medical, and ancillary), technological (IT), and operational (finance, operations, etc.) stakeholders that shares the values, contributions, and challenges each face
- Analysis: Demonstrates excellent analytical thinking and decisive judgment, manages resources accordingly. Able to identify areas of improvement for ongoing services enhancements. Analyzes issues and problems systematically, gathering broad and balanced input, and translating conclusions into timely decisions and actions. Prioritizes team/program work according to organization needs and goals.
- Data/Information Stewardship: Demonstrates exceptional/advanced understanding of data life cycle, structure, architecture, and flow. Is a key driver of data standards, ownership, and delivery. Applies these skills to facilitate data quality, decision support and business intelligence. Develops and supports organizational data standardization to promote knowledge sharing, through such tools as standardized nomenclatures and taxonomies. Collaborates closely with all stakeholders, including reporting teams, application teams, and Business Intelligence teams regarding data integration and improvement projects. Actively seeks out and identifies data quality issues, the source of the issues, and reasonable solutions to the issues. Collaborates with stakeholders to establish standards that uphold legal and ethical standards related to data security, regulatory requirements, confidentiality, and patients’/clients’ right to privacy. Participate in procurement, customization, development, implementation, management, evaluation and continuous improvement of the systems that support the work and decisions of the organization. Drives the use of standardization where possible (including workflows, terminology, and processes).
- Change Management: Recognizes the human impact of change and the technical impact of change. Role models and manages team using change management concepts for communication, education and risk mitigation.
- Quality: Role models and applies recognized methodologies for quality/process/performance improvement. Supports organizational programs and initiatives in clinical, operational, financial and legal arenas. Contributes to improvement processes (including patient care and business efficiency) by being an organizational leader.
- Usability: Role models advanced/proficient knowledge of, application of and promotes usability concepts, advocates for users and team.
- Knowledge Sharing: Executes programs that promotes the sharing of ideas and knowledge; applies knowledge in daily work; and builds partnerships for learning and knowledge sharing. Promotes knowledge sharing through the organization's operational business processes and systems to facilitate seamless and consistent exchange of information and data across systems. Promotes collaborative tools to facilitate sharing of ideas and work among internal teams and external partners. Provides support for the establishment and nurturing of communities of practice. Helps disseminate information about the organization's knowledge sharing program to internal and external audiences, including organizing knowledge sharing events (such as knowledge fairs, site visits, interviews), maintaining communications on knowledge sharing across the organization, participation in orientation and training sessions, and preparation of publications and presentations. Shares experiences across communities of practice, business units, and networks on innovative approaches in knowledge sharing, including preparation of case studies
- Program Management: Co-develops and executes assigned programs. Helps monitor and evaluate programs, including external benchmarking and evaluation programs/opportunities. Identifies and manages the strategic plan in support of the organizations strategic plan, monitors for outcomes and administers adjustments as needed.
- Team Management: Develops and executes processes/standard work to effectively use resources and talent. Identifies improvements and manages the department strategic plan in support of the Health System strategic plan, monitors for outcomes and administers adjustments as needed. Manages the utilization of informatics resources effectively and engages team in collaboration and execution of the plan.
- System Knowledge: Demonstrates proficient understanding of the technical capabilities of our current application systems and applies general system knowledge to facilitate process redesign and continued improvement. Develops and assures team members’ knowledge base and advocates as needed.
- Professional Growth: Supports Health System strategic goals by continuously enhancing knowledge and competency in the emerging field of Informatics and Informatics industry standards
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor’s degree in position related healthcare field
- KS and MO Nursing Licenses or Certification as appropriate for degree
- BLS Certification
- Minimum of three (3) years clinical care experience
- Minimum of five (5) years Informatics experience.
- Literature search/review experience.
- Epic Proficiency/Certification or role appropriate software certification within 6 months of orientation completion; as designated by role requirements.
- Demonstrates knowledge of computers and desktop software
- Ability to work autonomously, by demonstrating self-motivation and creativity.
- Excellent communication, writing, organizational, facilitation and presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with multidisciplinary teams including physicians, administrative staff, clinical personnel, and peers.
- Ability to manage several high priority projects simultaneously.
- Advanced working knowledge of computer spreadsheets, software and databases.
- Demonstrates persistence in solving problems.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to travel to various locations
- Master’s Degree in position related field
- Experience in software(s) that team will support
- Previous management experience
- Previous project management experience
- Nursing Informatics, HIMSS or Certified Data Management Professional Certification as appropriate for role/degree
Job Requisition ID:
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you! Create a custom Job Alert by selecting criteria that suit your career interests.