Providence is calling an Infection Prevention Coordinator Registered Nurse (Epidemiological Services, Day Shift, 1.0 FTE) to Providence Kodiak Medical Center in Kodiak, Alaska. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
- Provide general oversight as directed by senior or departmental leadership to encourage a positive work environment. Provide guidance and support to staff and community members to ensure that they are able to perform their work effectively and efficiently. Oversee and assist with directing the activities of the department/program to ensure that continuous quality and cost effective services are provided. Demonstrate the ability to make decisions, delegate tasks and encourage staff/community members to use their talents to achieve the desired outcomes. Appropriately credit staff and community members for their effort and accomplishments
- Review and follow-up with microbiological reports to monitor the presence of infectious microorganisms so that data can be analyzed in a timely manner and appropriate action taken
- Identify, gather, and analyze all pertinent information necessary to accomplish Infection Prevention projects. This includes reviewing patient records, documenting the appropriate information, reviewing with the supporting physician, entering information into the computer database, timely reporting and presentation to appropriate individuals and/or committees and state and federal agencies as required
- Assure implementation of appropriate interventions to address identified infection prevention issues as needed
- Participate in consultative services for patients, visitors, general public, volunteers, physicians, and staff members
- Demonstrate professional interpersonal and verbal skills when communicating with a wide variety of people from differing literacy levels, languages and cultures. Communicate effectively in a compassionate manner to patients, families, visitors and other staff members. Exhibit the necessary written skills for effective communication and documentation. Keep departmental leadership well informed on a regular basis
- Exhibit the necessary skills to build effective teams by coaching, building trust, and training staff to work collaboratively and cohesively with other staff and/or team members in a variety of settings. Encourage positive interaction and if necessary, directs staff to work directly with other team members when resolving issues. Monitor key processes to identify and define the team’s effectiveness. Supports new orientees in learning department routines
- Demonstrate effective priority setting and organization skills to promote departmental workflow and cost efficiency. Anticipate potential obstacles and adjusts work assignments to prevent unnecessary delays. Recognize errors/problems and takes corrective action when necessary. Utilize available resources to recognize errors/problems and takes corrective action and assists with problem resolutions
- Work closely with the senior or departmental leadership to anticipate and adjust operating plans to meet facility goals. Assist with the coordination and collection of statistical data and other information to support and develop current and/or new services while ensuring cost effective processes and development plans are in place. May assist with overseeing service agreements and equipment purchases to support the departmental, facility and community needs
- Development and maintain quality prevention and quality assurance programs by developing indicators to measure, monitor, and report performance to other team members. Seek input from various customer groups in order to develop and maintain quality. Report any performance improvement suggestions to the department leader
- Embrace the Providence Service Standards in all aspects of position. Present and conduct self in a professional manner. Provide support to coworkers and customers while demonstrating service excellence by building positive interpersonal relations to ensure productive and positive relationships are maximized. Develop a deep understanding of customer’s perspectives and needs and works to meet their expectations. Build a culture of true caring by behavior and interactions with others
- Ensure an effective purchasing process is maintained by requisitioning necessary products and supplies for personnel, determining necessary quality/quantity requirements, selecting suppliers according to current contracting, arranging for deliveries, following up on orders, dispensing of equipment and other items when necessary. Develops and/or maintains department records keeping system, regarding par levels of department supplies. Submit invoices for approval and processing in a timely manner
- Demonstrate knowledge and support of quality improvement goals. Participate in department, facility and organizational projects or committees as assigned
- Assist with responsibility for obtaining information and expanding job knowledge and competency that reflects current practice. Role models personal development and education. Evaluate own practice in relation to professional practice standards and guidelines, relevant statutes, rules and regulations
- Develop education activities and performs educational training to caregivers and physicians that address all requirements of infection prevention specified by Joint Commission, federal, state and local laws. Act as an infection prevention resource for departments
- Complete Competency Plan for assigned job and department
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Graduate of an accredited/approved school of Nursing
- Associate's Degree
- Licensed as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the State of Alaska
- Certification in infection prevention within 2 years of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification within 90 days of hire
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in infection control procedures programs
About Kodiak Island Medical Center
Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center (PKIMC) provides comprehensive health care to residents and visitors of Kodiak Island. This critical access hospital features 25 acute care beds, including four birthing suites, one OB triage room, and two ICU beds. In addition, the Elder House, PKIMC’s long term care facility, has 22 beds.
PKIMC provides an extensive array of inpatient and outpatient services, including emergency department, surgery, laboratory services, maternity, general medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy, respiratory therapy, sleep studies, specialty clinics, diagnostic imaging services and pharmacy and is staffed by a mix of primary care physicians, surgeons and specialists who provide family practice, internal medicine, obstetrics, radiology and general practice.
For more information regarding Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center, please click on the following link: http://providence-kodiakhealthcare.jobs/
For information on our comprehensive range of benefits, visit:
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Infection Prevention Nursing
Req ID: 262044