Providence is calling a Patient Care Technician (Nursing, Variable Shift, 0.9 FTE) to Providence Seward Medical Center in Seward, Alaska . We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
- Demonstrates understanding of and provides care according to Standards of Practice and the patient’s Nursing Care Plan. These duties are under the supervision of the Primary Caregiver and/or Professional Associate. Performs duties to assist in activities of daily living such as bathing, ambulating, and nourishment.Transports labs, obtain clean catch and other types of urine samples, performs point-of–care testing to include blood glucose, transports and/or escort patients, obtains ECG, as well as holds patients/infants for care or procedures.
- Communicates effectively with the RN or other caregivers regarding patient issues, family issues, MD issues, and equipment. Utilizes the “Hand Off of Communication Tools, “SBAR”. Communicates in a compassionate and professional manner with all staff, patients, families, providers, and visitors.
- Watches patients closely for changes in their health and responds by informing RN immediately. Also reports problematic and unusual circumstances in a timely and consistent manner to RN.
- Electronically documents information in an accurate, concise and timely manner. Competent in the input and retrieval of this information within the patient’s medical record. Responsible for documenting vital signs, I/Os, pain scores, weights, meal intake, activities of daily living and any other necessary information.
- Possesses knowledge of the Hospital and National Patient Safety Goals:
- Uses at least two ways of identifying patients, name and date of birth.
- Uses hand cleaning guidelines, before and after patient contact.
- Exercises all preventative measures in patient fall prevention as outlined in PSMC Falls Prevention Policies and Procedures.
- Possesses knowledge of patient care needs for maintaining skin integrity. Reports redness to Registered Nurse responsible for patient care.
- Follows defined process to ensure paper medical records are routed correctly to HIM to be scanned into the electronic medical record.
- Assists in printing patient labels and arm bands. Knowledge of the front registration desk operations, including the welcoming and check-in of patients, families and visitors.
- Accurately maintains kitchen department records, reports, and files per procedure. Assists kitchen orders and stocking. Responsible for daily/monthly checklists per hospital policy.
- During a code, assists by obtaining vital signs, performing CPR, ECG, transport of labs, gathering necessary equipment, supplies and people
- Assists in the patient admitting, transfer, and discharge procedure. Transports patients via wheelchair and stretcher.
- Assists in orientation/teaching other hospital employees.
- Responsible for maintaining, ordering and stocking unit supplies in an efficient and cost effective manner. May arrange environmental maintenance and repairs as needed and follow up on work orders not completed.
- Prepares rooms for procedures, with required equipment and supplies stocked to appropriate levels.
- Cleans designated unit specific equipment according to Infection Control standards.
- Implements care/services that recognize age/diversity specific needs/issues of customers served.
- Participates in float pool between PSMC and Providence Seward Mountain Haven’s Neighborhood Helper position.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- High School graduate or General Equivalency Degree (GED)
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Completed training as a Certified Nursing Assistant OR any equivalent Combination of Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, and Experience
- Completion of CNA program or 6 months of health care experience
- Food workers card, ServeSafe may be required
About Mountain Haven
Providence Mountain Haven is the first Green House® home in Alaska, which is includes 4-lodges, each with 10-Elders. Teams are self-managed, have consistent staffing, and have strong patient to caregiver ratio. Caregivers typically have 5:1 patient ratio and work 12-hour shifts. Nestled against Iron Mountain, in Seward, AK, it is a great home for Elders to live out their later years! http://alaska.providence.org/locations/psmh/Pages/default.aspx
About Providence Seward Medical Center
Providence Seward Medical and Care Center is a 6-bed critical access hospital and 40-bed long term care facility providing quality health care to residents and visitors. Our team of physicians, nurses, and support staff deliver compassionate, quality care to all patients. We care for the patients ranging from infants to the elderly with services including, primary care, emergency, inpatient, swing bed, lab, radiology, therapies and nursing home care.
Located only 125 miles south of Anchorage on Resurrection Bay, Seward offers a small community feel and access to a multitude of world class outdoor activities such as kayaking, fishing and hiking.
For information on our comprehensive range of benefits, visit:
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Certified Nursing Assistant
Req ID: 278089