APPLY TODAY! Applicants that meet qualifications will receive a text with additional questions from our Modern Hire Virtual Interviewing System.
Providence is calling a Registered Nurse (RN, Full time/Night shift) to Providence St. Elizabeth Care Center in North Hollywood, California.
We are seeking a Registered Nurse (RN) who will provide and supervise professional, independent nursing care for Providence patients, that is as evidence-based as possible. Care is based in the nursing process and is consistent with the California Nurse Practice Act, the ANA Scope and Standards, and the ANA Code of Ethics. The RN applies knowledge of assessing, planning, ordering, giving, delegating, teaching and supervising professional nursing care delivery that promotes patients' optimal health and independence. All Providence professional nursing practice requires a broad range of general nursing knowledge and expertise. In addition, development and validation of knowledge and skills essential to the assigned department, patient population and/or practice area are crucial.
The RN participates in and leads clinical teams and may supervise, assign or delegate to licensed vocational nurses (LVN), unlicensed assistive personnel and other caregivers. The RN performs all duties in a manner that promotes effective team functioning and reflects the Sisters of Providence and Little Company of Mary mission and philosophy and the Nurse's Bill of Rights.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Assessment & Evaluation:
- Evaluate and reassess the identified problems, care provided and patient’s responses to meet patient and family needs to ensure overall quality of care delivered
- Notify the physician and other care givers of acute change in the client’s condition
- Collect complete and accurate data as basis for timely assessment/reassessment
- Ensure all patients understand the assessment process, and have given valid and informed consent
- Notify professional staff in a timely manner of completed tests/procedures requiring their review, including significant findings affecting patient care
- Customer Focus:
- Ensure that provided services are consistent with the mission, values and goals. Handles complaints in keeping with the customer service focus and values. Actively seeks patient/customer feedback to improve services
- Accurately identify real/potential problems affecting service and notifies supervisor/manager
- Develop strong and credible relationships with the medical staff, responds promptly, appropriately and demonstrates a clear understanding of physician/customer communication needs and preferences
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate documentation of care or services provided to ensure the integration of information for use by the healthcare team
- Documentation is complete, thorough, understandable, and accurately reflects the treatment/care provided or test/procedure performed
- Ensure clinical data is correct and appropriate for specific test/procedure requested and performed as necessary. Demonstrate correct spelling of patient name, physician name and use of mnemonics
- Secure and appropriately handle patient records, maintaining complete confidentiality of all patient and hospital related information
- Patient Care:
- Perform routine nursing duties (i.e. vital signs, personal care, nutritional teaching, medication administration, exercise, etc.) and other general tasks required to provide for the safety, emotional, spiritual and physical comfort of patient(s)
- Demonstrate the skills and judgment necessary to implement the medical plan of care, nursing interventions and procedures as necessary for the care of the patient
- Demonstrate ability to safely and competently perform therapeutic/diagnostic interventions under the direction of a physician according to hospital policy and procedure
- Provide age-appropriate assessment, care, and communication. Recognize age-specific responses to treatment
- Demonstrate awareness of cross-cultural health issues. Provide culturally sensitive care, using effective communication methods and translation services as needed
- Effectively participate in patient throughput
- Teach patient, family and other care givers necessary diagnosis and treatment information and follow up care instructions
- Communicate and consult with other healthcare professionals as necessary to optimize patient outcomes
- Seek assistance when an issue or problem is beyond scope of duties/responsibilities
- Request, monitor and stock supplies as necessary to deliver care and keep materials on hand at all times
- Perform non-patient related tasks that are essential to departmental operations as required. These activities include but are not limited to; clerical tasks, equipment cleaning, supply ordering, temperature logs, and inventory
- Work with minimal supervision for the successful completion of job duties
- Planning & Workload Management:
- Appropriately assess patient and family needs to provide quality care to assigned patients.
- Prioritize patient care needs, makes effective decisions that reflect sound clinical judgment, awareness of options and appropriate managements involvement
- Ensure completion of all procedures and assignments during shift
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize workload and uses slow periods productively
- Stay focused and able to handle stress during periods of increased census and/or workload
- Properly and accurately tracks time and utilizes Kronos/applicable timekeeping system
- Arrive to assigned shift on-time and prepared
- Accept assignments willingly and discusses concerns appropriately, keeping continuity of care uppermost in minds
- Quality, Safety & Performance Improvement:
- Support the patient safety practices and quality initiatives. Commits to and actively participates in ongoing compliance with all regulatory and performance improvement standards including, but not limited to The Joint Commission, Department of Health Services, CMS Core Measures, HIPAA and IHI initiatives. Adheres to defined scope of practice and responsibilities for nursing
- Actively seek opportunities to improve care processes and decrease errors
- Verify patient identification by verbal communication, ID band, etc
- Complete all required safety training programs and consistently performs responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety and specific job-related hazards
- Practice infection control and Universal Precautions and handles hazardous and infectious waste properly. Use good body mechanics and required protective devices
- Demonstrate ability to safely use equipment according to manufacturers instructions and department policy. Report equipment malfunctions to the proper personnel in order to minimize equipment downtime
- Promote effective working relationships and works effectively as part of a team, inter and intra departmentally, to facilitate the department’s/program’s ability to meet its responsibilities, goals and objectives
- Practice professional intra and inter-disciplinary collaboration, shares information, resources, and ideas and seeks appropriate resources for decision-making
- Actively participate in department meetings, department- and organization-wide committees and projects as assigned, providing ongoing communication to those one represents
- Coordinate breaks/meal periods with other members of the team to maintain adequate coverage at all times
- Respond to pages, beeps and stat calls in a timely fashion following department protocol
- Communicate appropriately through the chain of command
- Assist co-workers with orientation/teaching new procedures, equipment usage and proper technique as requested
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Minimum of an Associate's Degree in Nursing
- Current unencumbered California RN license
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) at time of hire; American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- At least 1 year Long term care experience
About the hospital you will serve:
As a skilled nursing facility, Providence St. Elizabeth Care Center is staffed 24 hours a day by licensed professionals specially trained in geriatric medicine. Our nursing staff is highly proficient, and is trained and licensed to provide intravenous medications and therapies. We also provide for respiratory services as needed.
Each resident is treated as a special person, giving careful attention to his or her total well-being. In our eyes, this means trying to keep the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of an individual in balance and harmony. We offer an array of health care services for residents to enjoy themselves with family and friends. To complement our reputation for caring, our specially trained staff work in partnership with residents, families, doctors, referring hospitals, and health professionals to make sure residents needs are met.
For information on our comprehensive range of benefits, visit:
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Long Term/Transitional Care Nursing
Location: California-North Hollywood
Req ID: 276508