Under general supervision, the Registered Nurse demonstrates thorough knowledge of therapeutic patient care, patient advocacy, clinical pathways/care maps, team dynamics, hospital systems, and serves as a resource for the registered nurse and support staff. Collaborates with leadership in developing and implementing the Spartanburg Medical Center culture, Vision, Mission and goals.
It is the premise of the Professional Practice Program that each of the key responsibilities builds on the preceding requirements.
This 10-bed Cardiovascular Recovery Unit (CVRU or CVICU) is for patients recovering immediately after heart, lung and vascular surgery. This unit functions mainly as an open-heart surgery recovery unit, but there are occasional thoracic surgery patients. Average daily census is 10 patients, and typical nurse to patient ratio is 1:2, and 1:1 for open heart patients. This unit’s focus is enhanced recovery after surgery, and it strives to get patients off ventilators and walking 2-4 hours after surgery. This dynamic team is centered around following protocol and excellent teamwork.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Current R.N. licensure in the state of South Carolina
- Minimum of two years of RN experience required.
- Preferred experience includes a background in one or more of the following: Cath lab, cardiac, telemetry, critical care, operating room, interventional radiology, ER, med/surg.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Collaborates with patients, families, and other members of the health care team to determine patient priorities and treatments
- Initiates and facilitates interdisciplinary collaboration to enhance outcome
- Seeks necessary assistance in completing nursing interventions to assure positive patient outcomes
- Participates in hourly rounding and bedside shift report
- Responsible for demonstrating competency for all new equipment and procedures.
- Provides clinical guidance to students and ancillary staff
- Successfully completes hospital and unit-based orientation programs
- Formulates a plan for professional growth
- Ensures compliance with all clinical expectations regarding regulatory requirements
- Identifies appropriate standards of care, and/or collaborative clinical pathways to guide the plan of care
- Complies with established policies and procedures
- Identifies the need to develop or revise policies and procedures pertaining to specialized patient populations and/or unit and hospital-based practices
- Serves on unit-based committees
- Prioritizes nursing interventions for an assigned group of patients
- Assesses assigned patients’ medical history, admitting diagnosis and physician’s orders, obtaining nursing history, performing physical assessment, evaluating diagnostic data, and interviewing patient and family to determine patient needs
- Demonstrates knowledge of professional nursing practice and theory.
- Assures continuity of care through effective decision making resulting in quality patient care
- Documents all aspects of patient care by following established charting procedure to show the patient’s progress or any change in the patient’s condition
- Other Duties as assigned