Jan 16, 2021
Memorial Health System
Marietta, OH 45750, USA
In an environment of continuous quality improvement, the Medical Assistant is responsible for assisting clinical staff in various offices in performing their duties as well as performing front office duties as needed. The position directs and guides patient education under the direction of the provider. Exhibits the MHS Standards of Excellence and exercises strict confidentiality at all times.
High School Degree or GED required.
Completion of an accredited medical assistant program with an AAMA or NHA certification or approved equivalent; or held the position of Medical Assistant with MHS prior to January 2015; or a minimum of one year of medical assisting experience with eligibility to obtain AAMA or NHA certification or approved equivalent certification within one (1) year of employment required.
Previous healthcare experience preferred.
BLS Certification required.
Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills in Microsoft Office applications
Ability to perform clerical tasks, including ability to follow directions
1. Demonstrates the skills and judgment necessary to contribute to a medical plan of care and assists with procedures as necessary for the care of the patient through knowledge of clinic policies and procedures. Under the direction of the provider, responsible for providing and recording sample medications to patients. Demonstrates knowledge of commonly prescribed medications, including administration technique, action, dosage, and side effects.
2. Identifies patient care problems and communicates them to the provider by observing patients. Documents patient intake including vital statistics, verification of allergies, past history, updated medication list, and review of system findings as stated by patient or delegate. Performs assigned clinical procedures and treatments as ordered and within the appropriate function of the physician-validated skillset of the CMA with appropriate, timely documentation. Assists in patient education as needed.
3. Maintains up-to-date and accurate documentation of care provided to patients by authenticating all entries in the medical records and maintains office records and logs as directed by the supervisor.
4. Collect specimens and appropriately fills out forms in accordance with department/unit standards.
5. Submits prescriptions under the provider's direction and ensures that all prescriptions that are called, written or sent electronically to the pharmacy are documented in the patient medical record at the time of execution after an appropriate physician order is given.
6. Accurately and thoroughly scribes in real time: patient medical history and physical exam, procedures and treatments, patient education and instructions, test results, and physician diagnoses as directed, adhering to documentation requirements and scribing policies.
7. Performs front office duties as needed, such as receiving and directing phone calls to the appropriate person, performing patient-related scheduling activities for the providers, and handling payments on accounts and medical co-pays.
8. Demonstrates appropriate use of AIDET when registering patients.
9. Enters new patient data and/or verifies patient records are up-to-date, confirms the completeness of the electronic health record (EHR), makes changes as necessary, and completes an accurate registration.
10. Verifies insurance eligibility and benefits on each patient.
11. Collects out-of-pocket liabilities from patients upfront and applies and reconciles daily point-of-service cash reports.
12. Refers patient accounts to financial counselors when further explanation/education is needed regarding out-of-pocket liabilities, payment plans, etc.
13. Maintains compliance in RQI.
14. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.