Who We Are
Hillcrest HealthCare System (HHS) is a comprehensive health system with over 6,000 employees who serve the communities of eastern Oklahoma. HHS includes nine hospitals throughout Eastern Oklahoma, the Oklahoma Heart Institute, and Utica Park Clinic.
Hillcrest Hospital South is a 180 bed acute care hospital with a history of providing state-of-the-art technology in a friendly, community setting that is easy to navigate. With more than 1000 employees and 700 physicians, we provide a wide range of inpatient and outpatient services for all ages including emergency, intensive care, stroke, cardiology, maternity, orthopedics and surgery.
We welcome you to take the next step on your career path and join our highly skilled team of health care professionals who value Our Way of Changing Lives with Respect, Compassion, Responsibility and Accountability. This position is an excellent start for those looking to launch their nursing leadership journey as you partner with other professional disciplines to ensure effective and efficient patient care delivery and achieve desired patient outcomes
The Charge Nurse—Medical Surgical has the leadership skills, authority, responsibility, and shift accountability for the delivery of nursing care through the use of the nursing process. They are an extension of the leadership team (director, manager, nursing administration and/or house supervisor). In this role, you will assume responsibility for the direction and coordination of all day-to-day functions in the unit on your designated shifts. In collaboration with other members of the management team, you will be responsible for the ongoing assessment of the quality of patient care services provided in the unit. You will be responsible for the supervision of assigned nursing and unit-based personnel to provide a safe, caring environment for patients, family and staff which fosters professional nursing practice, shared decision making, inter-professional teamwork and collaboration with positive patient and staff outcomes. You will assist the Nursing Manager/Director in planning, developing, implementing, evaluating and monitoring policies and procedures, allocation of resources, quality/performance improvement initiatives, educational programs and shared governance councils to achieve departmental and organizational goals and objectives. You will provide direct nursing care as needed.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Assign patients, according to suitability, to RN and Nursing Assistive Personnel with rationale to support assignment variances
- Lead and/or participate in shift huddles to ensure communication of department initiatives, education and safety issues related to day to day operation of the department
- Determination of staffing adjustments in accordance with all other units throughout facility
- Serve as a first-line communicator and effectively converses with Director, Manager and/or House Supervisor with the evaluation of staffing needs or unsafe staffing conditions, patient care and service needs.
- Create and sustain a compassionate, supportive, safe and therapeutic environment for patients, families and staff. Assist in the coordination of patient care conferences and inter-professional rounds to address patient/family needs and discharge planning.
- Act as a role model, teach and mentor professional leadership and accountability for nursing's role within the inter-professional health care team. Assist with onboarding/training of new staff. Participates in departmental and organizational programs, committees and special projects to achieve desired outcomes.
- Recognize, respond and provide management follow-up to issues, concerns and suggestions on behalf of patient population and staff. Provide timely follow-up to critical incidents and events and provide input into system redesign to decrease risk and promote a culture of safety and service excellence for patients, families and staff.
- Respond to CODE and emergency situations on unit as well as ensure the completion of required documentation during emergency situations
What You’ll Bring
- Associate’s Degree in Nursing required, Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing strongly preferred
- Minimum of 1+ years’ experience as an RN in a hospital setting preferred
- Current valid OK State Professional Registered Nurse License
- Current BLS certification
- ACLS required within 6 months of hire
- Position requires fluency in English language to function in job environment appropriately
- Good interpersonal, communication, team-work, and customer service skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving and follow-through skills
- Ability to multi-task constantly, react to changes quickly/productively, and tolerate interruptions
- Ability to perform work when no directions are given, and give directions to others
- Remain flexible, organized, professional and able to analyze, make sound decisions under stressful or crisis situations
- Demonstrate knowledge of current computer systems, equipment or programs used in the organization, knowledge of Epic a plus!
- Demonstrate maturity and accountability
What We Offer
- Competitive pay
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with Company match
- Company paid basic life insurance and long term disability coverage
- Generous paid time off, including an additional extended illness bank
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Advancement and career development opportunities