Covenant Health is seeking a Full time Nurse Navigator with Palliative Care.
Under the supervision of the Palliative Medicine Medical Director, and with the ability to work independently and proficiently, provides direct clinical support, education and development, and case management for Palliative Care Services in the Inpatient hospital and Outpatient clinic or Facility setting. Collaborates with the Palliative Care Interdisciplinary Team, Nurse Navigators, Spiritual Care Department, Inpatient and Outpatient care providers in the provision of quality Palliative Care. The Palliative Care Nurse navigator assists the Palliative Care Service team in responding to, triaging, and assigning referrals; educating/mentoring nurses and other clinicians and non-clinicians in evidence-based palliative care; assisting the Palliative Care Team and/or Care Coordinator in discharge planning and/or entry into the hospice program; and functioning as a case manager for patients throughout the continuum of care. The Palliative Care Nurse Navigator may be required to provide care and program development. The Palliative Care Nurse Navigator will act as a clinician to assess, coordinate and provide patient care related to specialty; as an educator to conduct opportunities for staff development and patient education, as a consultant to serve as a resource to staff, patients and other health care providers and as a researcher to participate in studies, review literature and disseminate information to others.
Nurse Specialist – Palliative Care Coordinator:
• Provides extensive direct patient care to palliative care patients through the consultative service. Daily (five days/week) availability for consults as well as participation in on-call coverage with interdisciplinary team. Provides excellent patient care, coordinating efforts and linking palliative care team efforts with other hospital department, outpatient and community services.
• Utilizes the nursing process through definition and recording of the educational needs of the palliative care client (patient, family, community, staff, and physician) as well as formulation of a plan to address realistic and measurable goals.
• Performs clinical duties by evaluating and applying appropriate decisions related to nursing practice. Objectively evaluates effectiveness of programs and activities in order to improve performance and referral response.
• Development of policies and procedures that support appropriate referrals, consistent care, symptom management and team approach to palliation of all types of suffering related to illness or surgery.
• Plans, coordinates, facilitate and/or implements educational and outreach services.
• Participates in staff/community development in area of patient teaching/education by providing individual and/or group instructions based on needs of staff. Presents in-service/CE programs to nursing staff and other relevant personnel as requested related to symptom management, palliative care, and final stage of life.
• Participates with palliative care team in referrals, admissions to service, and coordination of care. Coordination of interdisciplinary team meeting to review active cases.
• Functions as a role model and resource person for families, nursing staff, students, physicians, and other health care professionals within the region.
• Monitors and coordinates quality improvement projects. Development and implementation of measures of patient quality and satisfaction (pain and symptom management tracking tools).
3 years Nursing experience in a hospital acute care setting
2 years Nursing experience in hospice and/or palliative care
- Current Texas R.N. license required.
- BLS trained.
- Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (CHPN) within 2 years of employment
- End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) Training within 1 year of employment
1 year Hospice and Palliative Care Nursing Certification or eligible and working toward certification or willing to complete certification within 2 years of hire. ELNEC core Training preferred.
Covenant Health is celebrating nearly 100 years of serving Lubbock and our South Plains region. As the oldest and largest health system in Lubbock and the region, we currently employ over 5,200 people with a medical staff of over 600 physicians.
For nearly 100 years, Covenant has been driven by a mission of providing a Christian ministry of healing and caring for the whole person - mind, body and spirit. Our vision and differentiator is we are the only faith-based, integrated health network in the West Texas/eastern New Mexico region dedicated to a Christian ministry of healing.
As an expression of our mission, we believe we hold an important Covenant with our patients and try and treat every interaction as Sacred Encounters.
Our ministry includes six hospitals with over 1,100 licensed beds:
Covenant Medical Center - CMC
Covenant Plainview - PLV
Covenant Levelland - LVL
Trustpoint (joint venture: Rehab Hospital of Lubbock)
Covenant Medical Group (CMG)
Covenant Health Partners
Hospice of Lubbock
Covenant Health's total service area includes 25 counties that covers most of West Texas and eastern New Mexico. The service area covers approximately 750,000 people and approximately 35,000 square miles.
Covenant / St. Joseph Health (SJH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Covenant / St. Joseph Health (SJH) complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Positions specified as “on call, per diem” refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled on as “as needed basis” to fill in for staff vacancies.
Company: Covenant Health
Category: Hospice Nursing