Providence is calling a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Med Surgical, Variable, 0.0 FTE) to Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center in Kodiak, Alaska. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
- Provide personal care and emotional support under the supervision of the Registered Nurse and or Physician. Perform basic patient/resident observation skills and reports significant changes in patient condition to the appropriate team member in a timely manner. Assist with measuring food/fluid intake and output and assists, bathing and dressing, including nail, skin, oral, pericare, hand and foot care, and assists with toileting and elimination, including enemas pursuant to plan of care. Transport patients via wheelchair, stretcher or other method as needed.
- Take vital signs and weighs patients. Perform positioning, ambulation, transfer techniques, and range of motion exercises pursuant to plan of care. Possess and exhibit safe patient lifting skills. Perform bedside testing (i.e. glucometer checks, urine dipsticks, stool occult blood checks). Actively round in assigned clinical area clinical area to obtain vital signs and to provide comfort and assistance to meet patient/residents and family needs. Change non-sterile dressings. Monitor patients/resident in restraints or seclusion and documents this according to department policies. Demonstrate competency in the preparation of non-sterile wounds for suturing including wound irrigation Perform hygiene care of colostomy and external catheters. Care for plaster casts and may assist with taking prosthetic devices on and off.
- Maintain a clean, safe, and healthy environment for the patient/resident. Keep bedside tables neat, changes linens, cleans spills and disinfects instruments and equipment. Answer telephones and patient call lights. Monitor and restock supplies and equipment to minimize waste and over use. Monitor refrigerator temperatures and back-up computer status. Demonstrate competency in the maintenance and operation of multiple pieces of equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Communicate in a compassionate and professional manner to patients, residents, families and visitors. Demonstrate professional interpersonal skills and cooperate with other departments and members of the care delivery team to provide optimal continuity of care to patients, residents and their families. Demonstrate commitment to teamwork and interacts harmoniously with others. Collaborate to ensure team success. Support new orientees in learning department routines.
- Utilize available resources. Recognize errors/problems and takes corrective action. Demonstrate effective priority setting and organization skills to promote department flow and cost efficiency. Ensure smooth, efficient clinic services and maximizes comfort and confidentiality for the patient/resident. Anticipate and prioritize workflow and adjust work assignments to prevent delays and meet work flow demands. Assist with problems resolutions.
- Obtain background information and instructions on plan of care from the Registered Nurse, Physician, and/or Rehab Therapist. Review the care plans frequently and communicates suggestions for improvement or change. Document care delivered using appropriate forms. Ensure that records are kept in an accurate, timely, legible and confidential manner. Inventory patient personal belongings at admission and as changes occur.
- Demonstrate knowledge and support of quality improvement goals. Participate in department projects or committees as assigned.
- Complete Competency Plan for assigned job and department.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- H.S. Diploma or GED
- Must complete twelve (12) hours of in-service training annually to maintain certification
- Must hold a current State of Alaska CNA certification. CNA graduates and candidates that hold a current, unencumbered nurse assistant certification or registration from another U.S. state must obtain the State of Alaska certification within four (4) months of employment.
- BLS or the ability to attain certification within 90 days of date of hire
- Current Alaska driver’s license with clean driving record and proof of current vehicle insurance required if working in the Home Health Department.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- 1 year of patient care experience in a health care setting
About Kodiak Island Medical Center
Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center (PKIMC) provides comprehensive health care to residents and visitors of Kodiak Island. This critical access hospital features 25 acute care beds, including four birthing suites, one OB triage room, and two ICU beds. In addition, the Elder House, PKIMC’s long term care facility, has 22 beds.
PKIMC provides an extensive array of inpatient and outpatient services, including emergency department, surgery, laboratory services, maternity, general medicine, physical therapy, occupational therapy, respiratory therapy, sleep studies, specialty clinics, diagnostic imaging services and pharmacy and is staffed by a mix of primary care physicians, surgeons and specialists who provide family practice, internal medicine, obstetrics, radiology and general practice.
For more information regarding Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center, please click on the following link: http://providence-kodiakhealthcare.jobs/
For information on our comprehensive range of benefits, visit:
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Certified Nursing Assistant
Req ID: 275558