Providence is calling a RN Research Clinician - Program Development Cancer (1.0 FTE, Days) to Providence Portland Medical Center in Portland, OR.
We are seeking a RN Research Clinician - Program Development Cancer who will coordinate Care of Patients enrolled to cancer clinical trials including patient eligibility verification, coordination of tests and procedures, education of patients, families, RN and Medical staff, administration of phase I and II investigational vaccine agents, patient advocacy, and assurance of compliance with Federal and International Human Subjects Regulations.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Maintain current nursing knowledge related to assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of care of fragile and/or chronically ill adult and geriatric oncology patient
- Provide ongoing assessment of fragile oncology patients enrolled to complex cancer treatment clinical trials; develops nursing plan of care according to patient needs
- Document all clinical observations to assure and maintain high quality research necessary for meaningful clinical trials, while assuring appropriate patient interventions to address identified patient problems
- Responsible for subject recruitment for studies from many diverse research agencies at levels to meet accrual commitments
- Assess potential patients for study enrollment, eligibility, appropriateness of enrollment to specific trial
- Collaborate with physicians and other care givers to identify appropriate study candidates
- Maintain confidentiality standards for all potential and enrolled patients; complies with federal HIPAA regulations
- Develop policies to guide research activities that advocate for patients, support FDA and other federal human subjects regulations, and assure protocol compliance
- Coordinate implementation of protocol treatment and follow-up on highly complex research studies. Coordinate diagnostic, surgical and other procedures, exams, and specimen collection
- Administer phase I and II investigational agents according to protocol guidelines
- Monitor patient response to investigational agents that may not have previously been given to humans
- Anticipate potential unknown or severe toxicities and assesses patients for toxicities and tolerance to treatment
- Implement treatment modifications and reports all adverse events according to federal and IRB guidelines
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers of Franz Cancer Center laboratories
- Coordinate research tumor and other specimen collections and adherence to applicable federal regulations
- Assure ongoing informed consent process and patient advocacy during the process according to guidelines per Federal Office for Protection of Human Subjects
- Assure ongoing compliance with all Federal regulations and department policies for regulatory documentation of research processes
- Provide accurate documentation of administration of all investigational agents
- Provide education and inservice to other medical or nursing staff regarding investigational therapy, potential toxicities, protocol procedures and available resources
- Develop written teaching plans, patient treatment orders, and communication tools to facilitate care of research patients
- Appropriately assure compliance with regulations regarding handling and administration of gene therapy materials or other strictly controlled investigational agents
- Act as liaison between sponsoring organization, investigators, physician, patient and all personnel involved in implementation of protocol to facilitate access to studies
- Assure compliance with Medicare research funding rules and regulations by collaborating with pharmaceutical industry staff, private practice and health system billing staff
- Assure appropriate billing and coding of patient services to correct research account
- Analyze clinical research protocols to assure clarity of standard vs. non-standard care requirements (important for billing implications
- Provide current and accurate protocol resources to investigators and staff
- Attend cancer/tumor conferences and provides information pertinent to current clinical trials as they relate to patient cases presented
- Establish and maintain procedures/systems for research coordination and data management
- Develop and improve research information systems
- Collect and maintain complete records and statistics on each research study patient
- Assure compliance with all system and regulatory Quality Assurance requirement
- Institute controls to assure accuracy, completeness and confidentiality of research data
- Prepare reports and assist with statistical preparation and analysis as necessary for audits or other presentations.
- Act as quality assurance gatekeeper for assurance of enrollment, evaluation and treatment of patients according to protocol, preventing research bias and protecting integrity of all data
- Attention to protocol requirements prevents intentional or unintentional research fraud
- Arrange for review and submission of pathology materials and/or radiology materials to document patient eligibility or response to therapy
- Evaluate operative reports, pathology reports, diagnostic test reports, inpatient and outpatient medical records to determine eligibility, response to therapy, or significance of toxicities to investigational therapy
- Promote the image of the Cancer Center through involvement in community events, outside organizations and educational programs
- Travel to research meetings via commercial airlines
Required qualifications for this position includes:
- Licensed Registered Nurse
- Drivers license
- Two (2) years Oncology/ Nursing Experience
Preferred qualifications for this position includes:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Training in FDA Good Clinical Practice
- Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN)
- Research Experience
About Providence in Oregon
As the largest healthcare system and largest private employer in Oregon, Providence offers exceptional work environments and unparalleled career opportunities.
The Providence Experience begins each time our patients or their families have an encounter with a Providence team member and continues throughout their visit or stay. Whether you provide direct or indirect patient care, we want our patients to feel that they are in a welcoming place where they can be comfortable and free from anxiety. Our employees create the Providence Experience through simple, caring behaviors such as acknowledging and welcoming each visitor, introducing ourselves and Providence, addressing people by name, providing the duration of estimated wait times and updating frequently if timelines change, explaining situations in a way that puts patients at ease, carefully listening to their concerns, and always thanking people for trusting Providence for their healthcare needs. At Providence, our quality vision is simple,
"Providence will provide the best care and service to every person, every time."
Providence is consistently ranked among the top 100 companies to work for in Oregon. It is also home to two of our award-winning Magnet medical centers. Providence hospitals and clinics are located in numerous areas, ranging from the Columbia Gorge to the wine country to sunny southern Oregon to charming coastal communities to the urban setting of Portland. If you want a vibrant lifestyle while working with a team highly committed to the art of healing, choose from our many options in Oregon.
For information on our comprehensive range of benefits, visit:
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Nursing Informatics
Req ID: 273270