Providence is calling a Wound and Ostomy RN to Providence Medford Medical Center in Medford, OR. This is a full-time position. Work schedule would be a Monday-Friday 36 or 40 hour work week (flexible scheduling available).
We are seeking a RN who meets the qualifications for this role and would be comfortable with educating staff and patients. No travel is required. Patient population is 95% inpatient and about 5% outpatient. Small but mighty team with available mentor. We are offering fantastic benefit coverage which begin on day 1 of employment, as well as a $12k hiring bonus and relocation assistance for RNs who live outside of So. Oregon.
We are seeking a RN Wound Ostomy that will serve as a clinical resource and consultant for the acute and rehabilitative care of patients with selected disorders of the gastrointestinal, genitourinary, and integumentary systems such as acute and chronic wounds (e.g., complex draining wounds, fistulae, pressure ulcers, vascular ulcers) ostomies, percutaneous tubes, and moisture related skin injuries. Professional responsibilities are carried out through direct patient care, clinical consultation, education, research, and administration. The Wound Ostomy Nurse provides inpatient and outpatient clinical services throughout the hospital, including the Emergency Department and Wound/Ostomy Care Clinic. The Wound Ostomy Nurse also serves on several regional patient care committees.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Utilize the nursing process when directing or delivering care to patients with wound and ostomy needs including assessment, nursing diagnosis related to clinical specialty, outcomes identification, planning and implementation (e.g., coordination of care delivery, health teaching and promotion, consultation), and evaluation.
- Utilize and maintain current physical, psychosocial, clinical assessment, and therapeutic communication skills to determine individual patient needs and expected outcomes.
- Utilize available resources and consults as necessary with members of the health care team in planning and developing individualized teaching and discharge plans.
- Assess health knowledge and learning abilities of patient and family; assess the educational needs of the patient and family and develops appropriate plans for teaching.
- Identify educational needs; and plan and implement educational programs for staff members caring for patients with ostomies, complex wounds, draining and fistula, and moisture related skin injuries.
- Participate in Hospital committees, Regional ET meetings, and decisions on standards of practice appropriate to clinical specialty.
- Establish a formal written plan of care for referred patients, document specific nursing orders, and develop goals specifying expected outcomes of intervention as appropriate to complexity of patient need.
- Validate pressure ulcer data collection for nursing quality indicators (e.g. pressure ulcers and restraints use).
- Function as a knowledgeable resource for Providence Portland Medical Center nursing staff, other hospitals, schools of nursing, clinics, and physicians within scope of practice.
- Maintain professional relationships with contracted suppliers and manufacturers to ensure quality of service to patients within scope of practice.
- Work closely with Central Processing, Distribution, and Surgery to coordinate availability of needed equipment.
- Participate in product evaluations of new equipment and supplies related to scope of practice. Provide written feedback upon completion of evaluations.
Required qualifications for this position includes:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Current, unencumbered Oregon RN license
- Current certification in wound ostomy nursing, dual specialty (CWON) by the Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing Certification Board; or obtain CWON certification within 12 months of hire
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) card must be from the following authorized governing bodies:
- American Heart Association (AHA) - (BLS Provider)
- American Red Cross (ARC) - (BLS for Health Care Provider)
- Military Training Network (MTN) - (Healthcare Provider) upon hire
- 2 years recent acute care nursing experience, preferably including wound and ostomy care
About Providence in Oregon
As the largest healthcare system and largest private employer in Oregon, Providence offers exceptional work environments and unparalleled career opportunities.
The Providence Experience begins each time our patients or their families have an encounter with a Providence team member and continues throughout their visit or stay. Whether you provide direct or indirect patient care, we want our patients to feel that they are in a welcoming place where they can be comfortable and free from anxiety. Our employees create the Providence Experience through simple, caring behaviors such as acknowledging and welcoming each visitor, introducing ourselves and Providence, addressing people by name, providing the duration of estimated wait times and updating frequently if timelines change, explaining situations in a way that puts patients at ease, carefully listening to their concerns, and always thanking people for trusting Providence for their healthcare needs. At Providence, our quality vision is simple,
"Providence will provide the best care and service to every person, every time."
Providence is consistently ranked among the top 100 companies to work for in Oregon. It is also home to two of our award-winning Magnet medical centers. Providence hospitals and clinics are located in numerous areas, ranging from the Columbia Gorge to the wine country to sunny southern Oregon to charming coastal communities to the urban setting of Portland. If you want a vibrant lifestyle while working with a team highly committed to the art of healing, choose from our many options in Oregon.
For information on our comprehensive range of benefits, visit:
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Nursing - Other
Req ID: 269722