Seeking a clinical lead that demonstrates talent in establishing relationships and is committed to providing personalized, patient-centered care in an outpatient Cancer Care setting. This includes providing client care coordination and outreach. A professional registered nurse with oncology-specific clinical knowledge, who offers individualized assistance to patients, families, and caregivers to help overcome healthcare system barriers. The navigator provides education and resources to facilitate informed decision making and timely access to quality care and psychosocial support throughout all phases of the cancer care continuum. The nurse navigator will consistently demonstrate the value of excellence and assist in the development and supervision of clinical process development and enhancement.
Education and/or Other Requirements
Must be a graduate from an approved program in professional nursing with current licensure
in the State of Illinois. BSN required. Minimum of two years of experience in oncology nursing, health education and educational program development. Ability/Willingness to obtain OCN certification within 2 years is required. MSN preferred. ONN Certification preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Current CPR certification
- Strong computer skills for documentation purposes in the electronic medical record
- Must possess medical knowledge and the ability to provide leadership
- Must be flexible and demonstrate strong organization and time management skills
This position is performed within an environment of occasional exposure to moderate environmental variations, above-normal noise level, and/or unpleasant substances.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- While performing the duties of the job the employee is required to stand, bend and reach.
- While performing the duties of the job the employee is required to perform repetitive hand motion and good body posture due to extended use of computer systems for patient documentation and other purposes.
- The employee will occasionally be required to lift, push and pull weight of at least one to five pounds.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to work under pressure and adapt to changing conditions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist an otherwise qualified individual in the performance of the job. In order to meet the needs of the Company employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above.
Essential Functions and Job Duties
- Direct client care including, but not limited to:
- Vitals, lab collection, screening tests, injections, medication management
- Collect and document client assessments
- Pre-visit planning
- Coordination and outreach of client communication via telephone and secure messaging
- Electronic medical record utilization including, but not limited to:
- Assessments, medications, order entry, care plans, communications, registration
- Assist in the implementation and follow-through of Oncology Program processes and procedures
- Bring creative solutions to assist in the development and growth of the Oncology Program by assisting in the planning, organization and implementation of services offered to clients
- Maintain clinical supplies and equipment
- Assume personal responsibility for quality patient care and professional development
- Receive and respond to new patient referrals within 24-hours
- Assess patients physical, emotional, psychosocial, spiritual, and financial needs
- Coordinate diagnostics, procedures, and specialist appointments
- Orient patients to the CCI system of care
- Initiate referrals and Coordinate patient care from DX to Survivorship
- Provide patient education
- Assist in the development, maintenance, and delivery of survivorship care plans
- Provide emotional support and access to resources
- Establish positive relationships with physicians and other healthcare professionals
- Assist patients with making informed healthcare decisions
- Track metrics and quality indicators
- Provide single point of contact for patients and families
- Attend all and follow up on multidisciplinary tumor conference recommendations