Ardent Health Services.
The Nurse Manager, Emergency Services is accountable and responsible for the effective delivery of competent, compassionate, and efficient patient care in the Emergency Department. This includes assisting with the overall direction of clinical, human resources, staff education and competency. Duties include but are not limited to: staffing, scheduling, payroll, staff education, and overall clinical function and throughput of the department.
- Personal Effectiveness – Meets established timelines; follows through to ensure completion of assigned objectives, seeks feedback to improve performance, and demonstrates a positive, “can do “ attitude
- Innovation and change – Looks for opportunities to improve processes and services, makes an effort to learn and develop new skills, and is resourceful and enthusiastic in responding to new challenges..
- Fostering Teamwork – Is open and honest in dealing with others, demonstrates commitment to team objectives and sees challenges facing department and helps the team to address them
- Quality Services – Delivers high quality services to internal and external customers, accepts responsibility and takes action to address quality issues, and helps operations and services respond to the needs of the caregivers.
- Team Oriented- Selects and hires well, Focuses on employee retention, Effectively deals with non-performing Associates, Interacts successfully, cooperates, is accessible, achieves consensus when appropriate, supports and encourages co-workers, inspires ownership.
- Integrity – Adheres to a standard of ethical conduct that promotes trust and open communication, earns trust by living up to commitments, and can be counted on to keep confidences.
- Commitment to Service- Committed to excellence in customer service and operational performance, customer focused, cares for others, self-sacrificing.
- Rewards/Recognizes- Communicates clear expectations, values work and efforts of others, recognizes and rewards performance.
- Stewardship- Finds ways to accomplish tasks, problem-solving, positive and persistent, uses resources responsibly and effectively, uses own and other’s time wisely, sets priorities, proactive, plans and works effectively, follows through
- Self-Awareness- Insightful into his/her strengths, demonstrates effective emotional responses, self-confident, involves people with strength he/she does not possess.
- Supports the professional practice model. Ensures compliance with standards of practice. Supports and advances shared governance structure. Collaborates effectively with organizational stakeholders.
- Responsible for abstraction of data from EMR for daily reports, monthly quality and core measures data.
- Supports the personal and professional development of staff at the unit/department level to include formal education, certification and career development. Responsible for tracking and collection of all hospital and unit based competencies
- Manages nursing personnel functions including hiring, coaching, counseling, evaluating, mentoring, and goal-setting. Supports privileging, credentialing, licensure or certification processes. Responsible for tracking of time and attendance through API/Kronos time management system
- Coordinates quality improvement by monitoring discharge phone calls, ensuring lab and radiology follow ups and monitoring of Joint Commission requirements.
- Ensures operation of medical and administrative equipment by verifying emergency equipment availability; following manufacturer’s instructions’ troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques
- Supports organization objectives aimed at maintaining a culture of safety with aggressive error reduction at the department level.
- In all aspects of role/responsibilities, supports horizontal integration of the practice of nursing in alignment with shared governance model, nursing winning strategies, goals and objectives.
- Collaborates with all network stakeholders (horizontal and vertical) to develop nursing and operating strategic plans aligning with all overarching strategic plans. Develops collaborative relationships with medical staff.
- Provides leadership in applying the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses to guide practice.
- In collaboration with senior leadership, develops/manages recruitment and retention strategies for their departments. Supports organizational strategies aimed at same.
- Manages resources to support quality patient care, service and patient safety. Supports measurement of nursing intensity/patient acuity to allocate resources appropriately.
- Drives accountability for compliance with external standards and regulatory bodies, including but not limited to Texas Board of Nursing and Joint Commission.
- Accountable for clinical and human resource measures that drive quality, efficiency, safety, satisfaction, and process improvement for assigned departments.
- Ensures the use of evidenced based practice & research to guide clinical and managerial decision-making. Supports organizational research and EBP initiatives at the unit, site and specialty levels.
- Fosters patient, family, staff, and physician satisfaction.
- Plans, organizes, and leads the unit through application of critical thinking skills.
- Ensures operation of medical and administrative equipment by verifying emergency equipment availability; following manufacturer’s instructions’ troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory by studying usage reports; identifying trends; anticipating needed supplies; approving requistions and cost allocations.
- Supports programs that drive a culture of safety with aggressive reduction of Associate injury.
- Provides service on committees, councils, and administrative teams at the system and site levels, as well as professional organizations.
- Supports department-level faculty/student activities.
- Evaluates own nursing practice in relation to professional and regulatory standards.
- Participates in peer review.
- Substantiates performance evaluation decisions.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills
- Excellent organizational, communication and detail skills.
- Ability to remain calm and function well in stressful situations
- Ability to work independently and prioritize work
- A. Education/Skills/Experience:
- BSN required
- MSN preferred
- Five (5) years of experience in an Emergency Department in a hospital required
- Three (3) years management experience
- B. Licenses, Registrations, or Certifications:
- ACLS within 6 months of hire
- PALS or ENPC within 6 months of hire
- TNCC within 18 months of hire