We are hiring a Family Nurse Practitioner for our Watkins Health Clinic, loccation is:
1200 Schwegler Dr, Lawrence, KS 66045
This is a professional position for a certified Family Practice Nurse Practitioner at Watkins Health Services (WHS). The incumbent will work interdependently, independently, and dependently as a member of a health care team in the performance of a medical regimen in health care.
Duties will be carried out in accordance with
1) established standards and ethics of the medical profession; 2) personal clinical qualifications; and 3) SHS administrative policies and operational procedures. Within this framework, duties are carried out with considerable latitude for independent judgment and action.
The incumbent in this position will see, hear and possibly have access to confidential information that must be handled in accordance with all relevant state and federal laws and University policies and procedures regarding its use and disclosure. This position is also authorized to review, create and process patient information and/or data in accordance with established procedures in the performance of job duties.
WHS utilizes computer technology in all aspects of its operations, including an electronic health record system. The incumbent must become familiar with and be able to use the appropriate computer hardware and software programs associated with this position.
The incumbent must become familiar with and adhere to the Watkins Health Services Customer Service Plan to ensure appropriate interaction and positive outcomes with both internal and external customers.
Watkins Health Services is a unit in Student Affairs
Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
• Performs physical assessments and examinations, and evaluates the psychosocial health status of patients.
• Establishes patient diagnoses and administers individual therapeutic measures based on the health needs of the patient within the framework of written guidelines and protocols.
• Communicates with and educates patients about their medical condition and follow-up care; also educates patients about preventive measures.
• Makes appropriate use of laboratory and radiology services in clinical decision making in accordance with standard practice.
• Initiates referrals and prescribes medication according to written protocols.
• Seeks consultation from a physician for unusual or unresponsive cases according to written protocols.
• Maintains thorough, accurate, and timely electronic medical records which justify diagnosis and treatment.
• Maintains other appropriate legal documents and other required forms.
• Works with other health professionals to develop policies and procedures pertaining to overall medical standards of practice.
• Evaluates effectiveness and/or care and initiates follow-up care and/or counseling using established guidelines and protocols.
• Assists in planning, implementing, and evaluating programs of health education and preventive programs as established by the Chief of Staff and Administration.
• Reasonable adherence to appointment schedule with patient encounter volume similar to other Watkins Health Services providers.
• Shares in evening, weekend, and holiday provider schedule.
• Serves as the medical staff liaison to the Health Education Resources Office and the health center marketing function.
• Participates in accredited continuing medical education to keep license and certification current, also to maintain professional knowledge and skills needed to carry out duties and responsibilities of the position.
• Supervises support staff in clinic, as indicated.
• Serves on WHS committees as requested.
• Confers with physicians as indicated regarding over-all general patient care.
• Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Masters of Science in Nursing and board certification through an approved accreditation program.
• Two years of related professional work.
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification.
• Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) registration
• Interest is working with preventive medicine.
• At least two years of clinical primary care practice in nursing
• Able to communicate and relate well with staff and students in an academic environment as demonstrated in past work experience.