Clinical Nurse (Registered Nurse)
SICU- Surgical Intensive Care Unit
Varies - Full-Time
Hospital Main Campus, KS
Position Summary/Career Interest
We are currently hiring for a Clinical Nurse (Registered Nurse) on our Surgical Intensive Care Unit.
Surgical/ Trauma Intensive Care
The surgical intensive care unit is a twenty-bed unit that provides fast-paced care to high acuity patient populations. Our interdisciplinary team provides specialized surgical services in 8 areas, resulting in a complex patient population with many comorbidities. The SICU is also the trauma unit and helps to maintain the hospital’s Level I trauma status. Trauma patients often have multisystem injuries ranging from orthopedic, vascular, and neurological injuries. Nurses are highly involved in bedside procedures and directing the plan of care for post-operative and trauma patients. The SICU environment promotes teamwork and challenges nurses to maintain advanced critical thinking and problem solving skills.
The University of Kansas Health System is the region’s premier academic medical center recognized for quality by:
- U.S. News & World Report ranks The University of Kansas Hospital as the best in Kansas City and in Kansas.
- The hospital is the first in Kansas to earn Magnet designation for nursing excellence and one of few to earn it 3 consecutive times.
- Our health system ranks 5th among 99 academic medical centers, earning Vizient’s 2018 Bernard A. Birnbaum, MD, Quality Leadership Award
- The Clinical Nurse provides professional nursing care through assessment and accurate documentation, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation for the comfort and well-being of patients.
- Carries out a plan of care specific to unit competencies for the target patient population.
- Coordinates care delivery and education through collaboration with patient, family and all health care team providers to ensure safe, effective and quality patient care.
- Follows organizational policies in providing safe patient care.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- AHA BLS Certification
- Registered Nurse in State of Kansas or compact state licensure
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or higher for less than 2 years of RN experience
- Associate's Degree in Nursing accepted with 2 or more years of RN experience
- For ADN prepared nurses hired after February 24, 2017, must complete BSN degree by the fifth anniversary of employment as an RN with UKHA