CV Ventricular Assist Device Program
Days - Full-Time
Hospital Main Campus, KS
Position Summary/Career Interest
Clinical management of pre and post VAD implant patients in collaboration with the Advanced Heart Failure team. Coordinates the clinical evaluation of potential VAD candidates. Coordinates discharge plans and provides follow-up consultation for discharged patients and sees patients at clinic visits. Provides education to nursing staff and patient/caregiver on patient care, maintaining VAD equipment, and safety measures. Participates in the provision of education and support to community health care professionals who may encounter VAD patients. Serves as a clinical expert consultant to all appropriate hospital staff and to the larger community. Ensures compliance with state, federal, and organizational guidelines and other regulatory agencies, as appropriate.
- Provides clinical management of patients who are candidates for, or recipients of, ventricular assist device as a bridge to transplant, destination therapy or as temporary support for native heart recovery in collaboration with the medical team including evaluation phase, inpatient and outpatient / VAD Clinic care.
- Coordinates the clinical evaluation of potential candidates for ventricular assist device implantation with the medical team.
- Participates in the preparation of potential candidates’ presentation information at selection meetings.
- Provides pre- and postoperative patient and family education for device candidates.
- Assists in the development and use of patient educational guidelines and materials for each device.
- Contributes to the development of policies and procedures for the delivery of care to the VAD population.
- Works with the financial coordinator to provide information and assess insurance coverage for devices and post implant supplies/resources prior to device implant.
- Provides education and support to community health care professionals who may encounter VAD patients.
- Participates in the development of educational materials and provides classes for providers as appropriate.
- Participates in the collection of data required by the hospital, the FDA, The Joint Commission, and other regulatory bodies related to implanted devices and submission to the appropriate agency(ies), including the INTERMACS database.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
- Registered Nurse in the State of Kansas;
- Master’s Degree in Nursing
- Certification as BLS; ACLS
- 2 years of relevant clinical experience