Days - Full-Time
Hospital Main Campus, KS
Position Summary/Career Interest
The Unit Secretary acts as a liaison, greets visitors, patients, health care team members in a courteous, customer focused manner. Ensures patient charts are organized, accurate and complete per hospital chart order. Initiates breakdown of chart and completes discharge checklist. Monitors electronic record for: new orders, consults for completion, accurate treatment teams, patient status, new results, and advance directives. Completes order entry for equipment, advance diet, and transport orders. Orders patient supplies and unit equipment as needed. Monitors and updates inventory and downtime bin. Enters dietary intake. Assists with safety and environmental rounds, monitors cleanliness and assists with infection prevention efforts.
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- Answers telephone and triages calls to unit, calls for consults, support, and ancillary departments as needed.
- Assists in monitoring patient disposition at all times as they leave or return to unit, using log.
- Assists with non-patient care needs as needed or requested by unit staff (turning off lights, delivering mail, delivering flowers, etc.).
- Completes needed filing.
- Ensures call light system is updated with patient assignments each shift
- Informs Admitting of discharges immediately upon patient leaving unit if needed.
- May be required to provide constant observation.
- Routinely maintains work area in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Schedules follow-up appointments for patients.
Transports items to ancillary departments as needed and pick up any items if required.*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Heartsaver CPR/AED or BLS required
- Minimum of six months of previous patient care experience or student in Nursing, Allied Health or medicine required; or minimum of year of clerical/administrative experience required
- Completion of Medical Terminology Class preferred