The Advanced Practice Provider Manager in Pediatric Critical Care is responsible for leadership/management of the Division/Department advanced practice providers (APPs). Currently leading a team of 30+ APPs, the Pediatric Critical Care APP Manager will help grow the APP team in the upcoming few years to align with care model changes, growth of the team, and support the staffing of our upcoming community-hospital PICU at Children's Hospital Of Philadelphia King of Prussia. This role will be a predominantly operational role, with the ability to practice clinically in a per diem / moonlighting capacity.
In collaboration with Nursing and Division/Department leadership, the APP Manager provides oversight of advanced practice providers practice and role development in the Division/Department while maintaining consistency with the larger institution goals. This oversight includes systems to support evidence based practice, systems to ensure patient safety, systems to promote provider efficiency and productivity, and systems to promote professional development and participation in scholarly activities. The APP Manager participates in professional leadership activities including quality improvement, education and consultation to the APP staff.
For specific job responsibilities, please refer to Scope of Practice Document and Clinical Responsibilities checklist.
- If applicable, maintains a clinical practice as defined within the Division/Department and outlined in delineation of privileges.
- Formulates standards for professional practice consistent with national standards and/or evidence-based practice.
- Compliance with institution wide patient safety initiatives including transparent practice through system reporting mechanisms and demonstration of shared accountability for safe practices.
- Maintains a working knowledge of regulation/legislation impacting APP practice. Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Develops position descriptions for Division/Department APPs and works collaboratively with talent acquisition and Division/Department leadership to recruit, hire and retain qualified staff.
- Ensures a comprehensive orientation program to develop competent staff.
- Completes evaluation tool as outlined by Institution expectations. Meets additionally with APP staff as required by Division/Department or staff performance.
- Participates in program development to support clinical practice and scholarly activities.
- Serves as mentor and consultant. Ensures opportunities for professional growth and development of staff.
- Collaborates with other departments to foster interdisciplinary practice and meet the needs of patients and families.
- Provides leadership in Divisional/Departmental and institution wide committees.
- Supports active quality improvement systems for unit/program and participates in Divisional/Departmental Safety Behavior for Error Prevention initiatives.
- Facilitates staff education.
- Provides clinical consultation to the interdisciplinary team.
- Role models appearance and behaviors that promote a positive image of advanced practice providers.
- Role models how to interact with parents/patients and colleagues with respect and dignity.
- Promotes an environment that encourages opportunities to pursue scholarly work.
- Participates in applying research findings to clinical practice.
- Role models scholarly activities.
- Promotes team building and colleague development.
- Creates an environment which is blame free, where a spirit of appreciative inquiry flourishes and thinking outside the box and taking risks is a system property.
- Demonstrates healthcare informatics competency to manage patient care, outcome data, and current and emerging healthcare technology.
Job Responsibilities (Continued)Job Responsibilities (Continued)Required Licenses, Certifications, Registrations
- Participates in promoting quality, efficient, and cost effective care.
- Monitors own usage of supplies and equipment, identifies opportunities for improvement, and makes recommendations.
- Prepares and manages operating and capital budget for assigned areas. Maintains deadlines and is able to address variances.
- Monitors APP clinical productivity.
- Ensures compliance with APP billing regulations.
- Participates in Divisional/Departmental and network wide initiatives to represent APP practice and leverage the role of APPs.
RN - Registered NurseLicensure for Advanced Practice RoleCertificate of Prescriptive AuthorityNational Certification - as appropriateBLS - Basic Life SupportACLS/PALS/NRP if indicatedRequired Education and Experience
Required Education: Master’s/Doctorate as applicable in correlated Nursing or Physician Assistant program. For CRNPs, Pediatric Acute Care or Pediatric Critical Care education, board certification and licensure required.
Required Experience: Minimum of five (5) years of experience as an APP.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Experience: Management/leadership experience.
Additional Technical Requirements
Ability to work in an inter-professional team setting with multiple responsibilities.
Ability to use computer and electronic medical record effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong conflict management skills
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to facilitate and lead groups
- Proactive and independent
- Implements process improvement
- Highly accountable
Please refer to Scope of Practice document and Clinical Responsibilities checklist for specific requirements.
- Basic use of a computer (mouse, keyboard, printer, USB ports).
- Basic use of Microsoft Office (Word processing, spreadsheets, presentations and Skype).
- Web browsing, intranet search, document access.
- Use of shared network file space.
- Basic use of patient facing technology. (e.g. IV pumps, point of care devices, CR monitors).
- Navigation and use of clinical communication systems.
- Determines the nature and extent of clinical information needed and uses the appropriate technology to access it.
- Accesses needed information effectively and efficiently.
- Evaluates information and its sources critically and appropriately incorporates it into clinical practice.
- Evaluates outcomes of the use of information.
Information Management Literacy
- Navigation of the electronic health record system.
- Ability to locate and review specific patient data in various clinical information systems.
- Effectively uses clinical decision support tools.
- Understands policies and procedures, confidentiality, security, and privacy regulations regarding the use of clinical information systems.
- Ability to collect clinical data using quality improvement tools.