We are looking for a Neonatal Transition Nurse to join our team in Albuqueruqe, NM.
This full time job is located at Lovelace Women’s Hospital, the first and only hospital in New Mexico dedicated to women’s health, offers a 53-bed advanced neonatal intensive care unit, a natural birthing center, an award-winning breast care center and the first robotic surgery program in the state recognized as a Center of Excellence in Robotic Surgery by Surgical Review Corporation.
Neonatal Transition Nurse Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for the care and evaluation of the neonate during its transition to extra uterine life. Care will be delivered for the neonate in the LD and continue on the Mother/Baby unit.
Supports each patient and their family through the transition period by reinforcing education and coordinating information and care with a team of physicians and allied health care professionals.
Assesses, develops, plans, implements, and evaluates care for the neonate (>36wks gestation) after delivery during its transition to extrauterine life.
Reviews maternal medical and obstetric conditions influencing newborn adaptation.
Utilizes thorough assessment skills and knowledge of the interaction amongst the respiratory, cardiovascular, thermoregulatory, and immunologic systems as they undergo significant physiologic changes during the transition from fetal to neonatal life.
Ability to recognize alterations from normal transition. Proficient in neonatal resuscitation skills.
Assists the primary nurse at delivery in assigning APGARs, facilitating early and frequent skin-to-skin care, and initiating early breastfeeding or expression of breast milk.
Assists the primary nurse as she completes newborn identification procedures.
Completes the initial head-to-toe assessment on the neonate.
Obtains neonatal vital signs and measurements (weight, length, head circumference) per protocol.
Collaborates with nursing and medical personnel in Labor & Delivery, Mother Baby, and NICU to evaluate and improve patient outcomes.
- Minimum: Associate's Degree or Diploma of Nursing
- Desired: Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Ability to maintain strict patient confidentiality; Management skills; strong organization and problem-solving skills; works well in a team setting; communicates effectively both orally and in writing.
- Experience: Minimum 2 years of experience in nursing practice; previous perinatal experience preferred.
- Special Training: Must possess knowledge and skills necessary to treat patients; must have a strong clinical knowledge base in perinatal care; must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Must complete 20 hours of Baby Friendly breastfeeding education.
- Valid NM RN License or valid multi-state compact license and BLS, NRP, Stable.
- Robotic surgery program named a Center of Excellence in Robotic Surgery by Surgical Review Corporation
- Women’s Choice Award for America’s Best Breast Centers since 2015
- 2016-2018 Women’s Choice Award for America’s Best Hospitals for Patient Safety
- Named to Modern Healthcare’s 100 Best Places to work since 2008
Lovelace is a drug-free employer with smoke free campuses.