Patient Care Technician Job Description
Advancing Healthcare Together – The Future of Healthcare is in East Texas
Why UT Health - East Texas?
Our People. Our people truly are our greatest strength. They make a massive difference in the amazing care we provide every day. We work closely together to create a positive experience for our patients and each other.
Our Purpose. We will build on your experience and provide meaningful and purposeful career growth for your future. You will have the opportunity every day to make a difference in someone’s life and change the course of healthcare.
Our Place. Athens is a small town with a huge heart where you will have the privilege of caring for your neighbors. Everybody is somebody here.
Representing the very best in healthcare, UT Health East Texas is comprised of 10 hospitals and more than 50 clinics across east Texas. With nearly 7,500 employees and over 1,000 licensed in-patient beds, UT Health East Texas provides healthcare services to thousands of patients annually through our hospitals, clinics, Level 1 trauma facility, air emergency fleet and EMS service in a metropolitan service area of a quarter-million people.
The Patient Care Tech (PCT) I works in partnership with the licensed nurse to support the delivery of care in a safe patient environment that promotes caring and healing. The PCT I demonstrates basic knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated tasks for age specific populations under the supervision of a licensed nurse. He/she records data as directed by policy and procedure, and reports observations and patient concerns to the licensed nurse. The Patient Care Technician is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions. Duties of a PCT I include, but may not be limited to, obtaining vital signs; assisting patients with basic tasks, such as bathing, dressing, and eating and other ADLs; collecting specimens for lab tests; and assistance with monitoring of patients. The PCT I is competent to perform in at least one general area of practice
DUTIES, ACCOUNTABILITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Assists patients with ADLs and through ongoing monitoring and response to patient needs.
- Organizes work in order to complete daily assignments within assigned timeframes. Competently performs defined skills in order to meet patient needs/expected outcomes.
- Maintains a clean, orderly and safe environment by following appropriate safety, infection control and patient care polices. Participates in tasks related to environment and equipment use, (including use, cleaning and storage) according to unit and hospital policy.
- Appropriately utilizes and charges for supplies used in patient care. Assists with cost effective care by ensuring appropriate use of supplies with minimal waste.
- Competently delivers therapeutic interventions to populations served under the direct supervision of a licensed nurse.
- Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Completion of high school or its equivalent.
- Competent to use patient care related machines and equipment.
- Basic computer skills for medical record data entry (per policy) and other unit based tasks
- Strong communication skills to support an environment supportive of a positive patient and family experience
- Maintains current BLS
- Maintains unit/department/role competencies
- One year experience in acute care hospital or long term care facility preferred
Certification and Licensure:
- Completion of approved certified nursing assistance course.
- Active certification with the state of Texas upon hire only. Recertification upon expiration preferred.
- Comply with regulatory requirements, guidelines, and policies
-Patient Centered Customer Service: Genuinely care about people.
-Cultivate a compassionate environment: Changing lives for the better together.
-Clinical and Operational Excellence: A relentless drive to be the best.
-Holistic Approach: Think and act for the benefit of the whole.
-Promote a collaborative environment: Build effective working relationships with others.
-Identify and Develop Talent: Prepare others to deliver excellence.
-Business Acumen: Know, own and drive our business.
-Continually Simplify and Improve: Work to make everything as efficient as possible.
-Foster Innovation: Seek and apply leading edge solutions.
-Set Clear Direction: Tell others where you are going, how to get there and why.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time while completing work on a computer
- Ability to lift 10 or more pounds