Responsible for providing and coordinating comprehensive care of acutely ill patient. Provides care to all age groups through the proper utilization of the nursing process; assessment, formulation of nursing diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation of plan of care in accordance with established standards, policies, procedures, protocols and guidelines. Responsible for supervising nursing staff to care for groups of patients.
Diploma or Associates Degree in Nursing required.
Licensed in the State of Illinois.
Certified in CPR or completes certification within 90 days of employment.
2-3 years of experience preferred.
Advanced skills in reading, writing and oral communication.
Demonstrates knowledge of basic skills of professional nurse.
Demonstrates skills in the use of clinical information systems, basic skills in keyboarding and use of computer systems.
- Assesses patient’s health status through interview, observation and physical assessment skills.
- Develops an individualized plan of care with specific goals and target date in collaboration with the patient, family, provider and other members of the health care as appropriate.
- Implements appropriate interventions identified in the plan of care to move the patient toward established goals or outcomes.
- Systematically evaluates and documents patient’s progress to expected outcomes / goals on an ongoing basis throughout the shift and modifies plan of care based on patient’s responses to expected outcomes.
- Completes documentation in the patient medical record accurately and in a timely manner
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and skill to safely utilize patient care equipment.
- Prioritizes work based on changes in the patient condition, changes in assignments and unanticipated interruptions.
- Collaborates with the health care team to organize tasks and activities from the patient’s admission through discharge. Delegates tasks and activities to other members in the health care team using appropriate
- Performs all nursing care activities using techniques to promote safety, reduce risks, and follows policies and procedures.
- Acts as an advocate for the patient with families, physicians and other healthcare team members.
- Adapts teaching strategies passed on the patient’s response, readiness to learn and level of comprehension.
- Implements cultural, age-specific gender and developmental factors into patient/family education about health concerns, disease specific conditions, self-care and long-term management of chronic conditions.
- Promptly follow up on patient’s/ family requests/concerns
- Provides care to all age groups as defined by nursing standards on each unit. Uses age appropriate communication techniques.
- Perform tactics to support great patient experience and lead others to support initiatives in patient experience.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.