Providence is calling at Registered Nurse (RN) Charge - Intensive Care Unit (Full time/Night shift) to Providence Holy Cross Medical Center in Mission Hills, CA.
We are seeking a Registered Nurse (RN) Charge - Intensive Care Unit who will provide professional, comprehensive nursing care for patients in an acute care environment. Responsible for the workflow of the unit under the direction of the unit management team. Determine unit priorities for assigned timeframe with regard to patient care, patient flow (bed control), staffing and distribution of resources. Responsible for ensuring adherence to standards and regulations.
Is also accountable for the delivery of coordinated, safe, compassionate, therapeutic, evidence-based quality care to patients and families, based on individual physical, emotional, and spiritual needs, and appropriate care strategies throughout the lifespan. Practices in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act in the state of employment, the American Nurses Association (ANA) Code of Ethics for Nurses, and the ANA scope and standards of practice. Key functions and specific skills for the job are found in the unit specific onboarding checklist and in standards that are applicable to the specialty.
In this position you will have the following responsibilities:
- Employ Nursing Professional Practice: Coordinate patient care activities on the nursing unit, provides immediate clinical oversight of staff members, and ensures that all daily departmental activities are completed, including on–going monitoring activities. Make and adjust patient care assignments based on patient care needs. Coordinate emergency interventions, clinical and administrative escalation as needed including communication to unit leadership as appropriate
- Assess, diagnose, plan, implement and evaluate patients’ care. Develop, updates and coordinate the patient’s plan of care to achieve patient goals and to optimize outcomes and transitions across the care continuum. Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate. Perform and maintain currency of essential competencies as required by specific area of hire and populations served, including those specific to the ‘charge’ position
- Advocate: Effectively advocates for ethical and holistic care by partnering in care planning to promote the autonomy, dignity, rights, values and beliefs of those we serve. Work closely with patients, families, staff members, and providers to obtain or disseminate information, provide education, and act as a clinical resource. Serve as a resource to staff on the unit to intervene on their behalf when needed, identify immediate resources, and communicate ongoing needs to shift or unit leadership
- Facilitate Learning: Serve as role model for staff and assists staff in following established, best practice standards. Fosters a learning environment for patient/families, nursing, and other members of the healthcare team including students; facilitate formal and informal learning for patient/families, nursing, other members of the healthcare team, and community. Is a mentor for all members of the team facilitating orientation within the unit. Where applicable, collaborates with department management team, providing informal input into the evaluation of staff performance
- Align Practice with Safety and Quality: Actively participate in performance improvement activities within the unit and with other departments. Investigate family and patient complaints and facilitates service recovery. Assure completion of required reporting involving patients and/or staff and is involved in follow-up as appropriate. Accountable for safety, identifies and corrects problems, and integrates evidence, and best practice into nursing care; uses data and evidence to improve patient outcomes and work flow processes. Align patient safety, self-safety and environmental safety as equally important for best outcomes
- Engage in Professional Development: Models ongoing professional development; practice to the top of license within the legal parameters of the Nurse Practice Act, the Nursing Social Policy Statement, the ANA Code of Ethics for Nurses, and specialty standards. Promote a culture of inquiry that explore, integrate and disseminate research and evidence based practice
- Lead in the Practice Setting & Community: Lead and coordinates department activities and teams, appropriately delegate, coordinate care and collaborate with others as equal members of the inter-professional care team to integrate nursing knowledge. Model professional behaviors as a representative of the nursing profession. Work with management team, representing leadership when making rounds on patients, identifying any real or potential patient care issues. Make management team aware of any unusual incidents on the assigned unit
- Staffing: Make appropriate patient care and unit assignments, and delegate tasks according to staff competencies. Work with staff to coordinate meal and break times; relieving for breaks and/or RNs off the unit, as needed. Assess unit productivity on a routine basis and makes adjustments in a timely manner to help ensure high quality safe patient care and effective stewardship. Collaborate with management team to help ensure staffing on current and subsequent shifts is appropriate, using existing guidelines. Provide input to unit leadership on patient acuity and nursing workload assessment. Communicate shift information and/or problems to the appropriate person
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Nursing degree/diploma
- Bachelor's Degree (Or higher) in Nursing, within 3 years of hire or an RN with 20 years of RN experience will not be required to obtain a BSN
- Unencumbered RN license in state(s) of hire, and wherever care is delivered. If RN holds a multi-state license through the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC), the RN must adhere to the requirements of licensure in the new state(s) of hire
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) card must be from the following authorized governing bodies: American Heart Association (AHA) - (BLS Provider), American Red Cross (ARC) - (BLS for Health Care Provider), or Military Training Network (MTN) – (BLS Provider) upon hire
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) upon hire
- National Institutes of Health Stroke Scale (NIHSS) upon hire
- 1 year experience with like population of hiring unit and demonstrated leadership accomplishments
- Proficiency with Information Technology; such as electronic health records, communications systems, computers and equipment necessary to perform essential functions of the position
- Skilled to work with a wide range of staff as part of an interdisciplinary team including physicians, nurses, and ancillary staff
- Ability to use independent, critical judgment in all aspects of patient care delivery
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills that convey a positive and supportive attitude
- Ability to effectively manage multiple responsibilities, urgent responses, and challenging situations
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing, at hire\
- National Certification in area of specialty
- Charge nurse experience, to include leading teams
About the hospital you will serve.
Nationally recognized for clinical excellence and trauma care, Providence Holy Cross Medical Center is a 377-bed, level II trauma center in Mission Hills, California. We are the only Magnet®Designated Hospital in the San Fernando Valley. Providence Holy Cross also has been recognized this year by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the best places to work in Los Angeles. As our reputation for excellence grows, so does our facility. We have recently expanded our medical center with the addition of a new 138-bed patient care wing. This expansion has made Providence Holy Cross Medical Center one of the largest hospitals serving the San Fernando and Santa Clarita valleys.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence Health & Services is a not-for-profit Catholic network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services guided by a Mission of caring the Sisters of Providence began over 160 years ago. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Medical/Surgical Nursing
Location: California-Mission Hills
Req ID: 250851