PCCU NP (Night Shift - 30 Hours a week)
The critical care nurse practitioner (NP) works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary health care team. The critical care NP generally functions as an intensivist within a designated intensive care unit and manages the critical care aspects of the assigned patient's intensive care stay from admission to transfer. The critical care NP has a strong foundation in evidenced based practice and education and has a responsibility for ensuring adherence to critical care pathways and protocols and ensures an environment of safe quality care. The NP demonstrates an advanced level of medical and nursing knowledge, clinical and technical competence, sound clinical judgment, professional communication skills, timely and compliant documentation, and is responsible for professional development and competency validation. This job is a 24/7 position and requires days, nights and weekends.Key Functions and Expected Performances:
- Assessment of Health Status
- Performs and documents in the medical record a complete history and physical examination for acute and complex chronically ill patients.
- Orders and collects data using appropriate assessment techniques, relevant supporting diagnostic information and diagnostic procedures where indicated.
- The nurse practitioner may serve as the first responder for both nursing and house staff in the event of patient status changes, orders, and in situations requiring procedural and resuscitative interventions.
- Assesses for risks associated with the care of the acute and complex chronically ill patient including medication side effects, immobility, impaired nutrition, fluid and electrolyte imbalance, immunocompetence, invasive interventions and diagnostic procedures.
- Coordinates daily rounds with the attending physician teams, presents 24 hour patient report, collaborates in plan of care.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care team in making diagnoses of acute and complex chronic conditions.
- Manages diagnostic tests through ordering, interpretation, performance, and supervision.
- Formulates differential diagnoses by priority.
- Diagnoses complications and orders appropriate interventions.
- Formulates Plan of Care
- Identifies expected outcomes from diagnosis, and formulates and documents a plan of care to address immediate critical care needs.
- Utilizes evidenced based practice guidelines, pathways or protocols in an individualized, dynamic plan of care that can be applied across the continuum.
- Implements and modifies plan of care
- Prescribes diagnostic strategies and therapeutic interventions both pharmacologic, non-pharmacologic and surgical, needed to achieve expected outcomes.
- Manages further diagnostic tests through ordering, interpretation, performance, and supervision.
- May perform advanced procedures consistent with privileges and competency validation, including minor suturing, complex wound management, line and tube placements and removals.
- Communication and Collaboration
- Maintains ongoing communication and collaboration with interdisciplinary health care team.
- Facilitates and communicates with patient, family and staff to promote continuity of care across the inpatient continuum of care.
- Documents/dictates key components of patient's progress via daily progress note, transfer, and discharge summary, and/or clinic note where applicable. (h&p, daily progress notes, plan of care, problem lists, procedure notes, acute event note, discharge summaries in medical record per specific patient unit or service, death summary)
- Documentation is timely, meets critical care compliance standards and captures patient acuity.
- Professional Practice
- Demonstrates Professional Practice behaviors including: preceptor/mentoring, education and instruction of students, nursing staff, nurses, graduate and novice nurse practitioners.
- Seeks opportunities for active engagement in research and the analysis of evidenced based practice.
- Actively participates in Grand Rounds, APN council meetings, faculty and unit meetings, M&M presentations.
- Maintains CEUs, and membership in a professional organization
· Master's Degree (or equivalent experience) Nursing and < 1 year relevant experience Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration (LCR):
Advanced Practice Registered Nurse RequiredRegistered Nurse Required
· Night Shift / 7pm - 7am / 30 Hours
· Recruiter cut and paste
summary here from your Rock The Req! Manager Strategy Meeting, to include all
information collected from checklist as well as links to webpage, videos,
Click here to learn
about our vision of Defining Personalized Care
University Medical Center:
in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching,
discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who
come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place
where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities
challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning
and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they
are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in
their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt’s mission is to advance
health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and
Our Nursing Philosophy:
highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to Vanderbilt
University Medical Center’s mission of quality in patient care, education and
research. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helping
people, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
Achieve the Remarkable:
about VUMC Nursing:
Nursing Careers: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/index.html
Our Nursing Philosophy: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/philosophy.html
Our Nursing Leadership: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/leadership.html
Shared Governance: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/shared-governance.html
Education & Professional Development: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/professional-development.html
Life In Nashville: http://www.vumcnursingcareers.com/nashville.html
VUMC Nursing: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/root/vumc.php?site=vanderbilt-nursing