Under the direction of the Nurse Manager, Operating Room, the Specialty Resource RN services as the primary clinical support for the specialty service through mentoring, education and role-modeling in their specialty. The role facilitates the advancement, efficiency, and effectiveness of patient care in their supported service.
· Provides direct patient care on a routine basis, as an integrated staffing resource, no less than 75% of professional effort; Monitors and assists with room turnover and case set-up.
· Assists Unit Coordinators; adjusts staffing levels relative to patient flow and staff productivity and efficiency.
· Monitors specialty nursing performance and practice, and collaborates with Nurse Manager to facilitate action to correct deficiencies.
· Establishes an orientation and education plan for the specialty service and updates clinical practices change.
· Participates with Perioperative Services Educator in meeting learning needs of staff.
· Enforces and maintains intraoperative standards of care relevant to specialty services.
· Assumes responsibility for maintaining current knowledge and competency in area of specialization.
· Reviews and revises specialty instrument sets, ensuring appropriate weight and composition. Communicates effectively and collaboratively with Manager, SPD regarding changes.
· Identifies supply and equipment requests with physicians in specialty areas.
· Meets bi-annually with each surgeon to review preference cards and practice needs.
· Maintains open communication among surgeons, team members, management; regarding instrument processing, storing, restocking and inventory of specialty instruments, supplies and equipment.
· Supports cost containment efforts of the hospital through conservation of supplies and care of equipment.
· Prepares and maintains preference cards, policies, and procedures for the OR.
· Monitors the flow of the daily schedule to assure the most efficient utilization of rooms, monitors case progression to identify potential roadblocks and assists with patient care when needed.
· Serves as technical resource person.
· Directs and/or performs troubleshooting of equipment and/or procedural problems including equipment repair.
· Collaborates with Manager, OR Materials to maintain adequate and appropriate inventories of supplies.
· Assists with the evaluation of new procedures/products and staff compliance in the OR.
· Collaborates with Manager, SPD on the maintenance and turnover of instrumentation.
· Demonstrates knowledge of proper documentation procedure.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.