The Oncology Nurse provides professional nursing care through assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and/or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
- Administers medications safely.
- Collects and analyzes comprehensive data pertinent to the patient’s health or situation to determine the diagnosis or issues.
- Performs primary and secondary patient assessments and documents in the medical record accurately and timely.
- Communicates systematic report to other care providers.
- Coordinates care delivery; utilizes resources to promote the continuum of care.
- Demonstrates knowledge and skill in all aspects of IV therapy, i.e., hydration, chemotherapy/biotherapy and blood products.
- Employs strategies to promote health in a safe environment.
- Evaluates and documents progress toward the attainment of outcomes.
- Identifies expected interventions and outcomes for an individualized plan of care andcommunicates effectively with patient, family and other team members.
- Implements the plan of care in a safe, timely and appropriate manner.
- Manages patient care based on knowledge of cancer, cancer treatment, and side effects of such treatment.
- Uses quality and evidence based practice to deliver and improve care.
- Works closely with more experienced clinicians for guidance and supervision.
*Must be able to perform the professional, clinical and or technical competencies of the assigned unit or department.
*Note: These statements are intended to describe the essential functions of the job and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Skills and duties may vary dependent upon your department or unit. Other duties may be assigned as required.
- Associate's Degree in Nursing (or higher degree) required
- Registered Nurse in State of Kansas and Missouri required
- BLS Certification
- ONS Chemotherapy/Biotherapy-required within 1 year of employment
- Must complete BSN within five years of hire as RN
- IV Therapy skills
- BSN degree preferred
- Oncology Certified Nurse (OCN) preferred
- 2 years med surg/acute care preferred
- 2 years oncology experience preferred